"Mine"
We were on our way home after a fun evening with friends, and each of the children had a balloon I had given them. Emily's popped and she burst into tears. Johnny responded, "Good thing it wasn't mine!"
"Mine." Is anything just "mine"?
We seem to be tucked away nicely and privately in our own seperate skin, a warm little wall that protects us from everyone's problems, but our own. And from inside we can peer out and say, "Oh-children are starving in Africa. Good thing they're not mine!" Or we can say, "A house burned down just up the street this morning. Good thing it wasn't mine!"
But the borders are getting less and less clear...Scientists are proving these days that in very subtle ways every living thing is connected. Perhaps like what Jesus must have meant when he said, "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto the least of these, ye have done it unto me."
In some magical way that we will one day understand, whenever flowers are given or balloons are popped, they are mine.
We all had a great time & our kids loved having some new blood in the house.
It's just one of many things that people have done to reach out to us during this sometimes difficult time. Even though neither of these guys have kids of their own, they thought of ours. I think of the many people in our ward who willingly fasted in our behalf, even though some of them had no idea who we were. It reminds me of our neighborhood who all signed a cute welcome home poster for when we got back from the hospital to show that they cared or all of the people who finished pulling Super Satuday together for me, knowing that I would not have the time or focus to do it. Or those who took the time and effort to bring meals in or who prepared freezer meals so we can have something fixed in minutes. Or those who have come to watch Rylee so I can take Jace to speech therapy or preschool or so our family can still attend church on Sunday. Or all the cute care packages sent to our family. Or for cleaning our house, praying for us, calling to check in, running errands, etc. There have just been so many examples of people thinking and acting outside of themselves. Even when the problem isn't necessarily "theirs" it's "mine" everyday.
I think of times that I've had this attitude of "oh, well, it doesn't really affect me" before and I guess this is just a good lesson. With the season of giving coming up, remember all of those that may need something (and I don't mean us) and then be that person who sees or realizes that need. I cannot tell you the blessing and relief it is when you're on the other end(and this is the first time I've ever really been on this side), to feel, know and realize that others do care and they are willing to bear your burdens, in big or small and simple ways. There is comfort in knowing that you're not alone.
Well, that's probably enough of my motivational rant. I promise I'm not trying to get a gig as a motivational speaker, just sharing random thoughts of the journey. I have updates on Rylee that I'll post a little later.
9 comments:
What a great post with many good reminders!
Natalie, Im in tears right now...I am one of those people who really hate when people do things for me, I feel like such a burden. But its true its not just about YOU its also for the people who get to do the service. I love the opportunities I get to do things for others...I am soo glad that you have allowed people to be there for you, and I appreciate the story. It reminds me that we dont all lead these "seperate" lives and that we should all feel it when something happens to someone else!! thanks a ton!
cort
Very profound. Thanks for another wake-up call.
You are so amazing. I seriously cry every time I read one of your posts. I love that "mine" story. Thanks for sharing!
You seem to be giving me (and so many others) strength and a new perspective on life- even during such a difficult time in your life. Thanks for the insight! You attitude is amazing...hope you have a good week.
Holy cow, this was so something I was just thinking about the other day! I challenged everyone to pay it forward... I still have to think of ways, but it's obvious service is alive and well in your area of the world. I am so glad for people who take no thought for themselves, but think of others and do whatever they can to help. This was an awesome post, and has given me some good ideas for fulfilling my own part of the challenge.
Beautiful post Natalie! Rylee's pics turned out so cute too! You are pretty amazing you know that?! :)
Good post Nat! I love reminders like this.
Natalie, you inspire me every day! And not just by what YOU are doing... but by what you share about others doing! I'm often in awe of others' willingness to serve and reach out to those in need! I'm so glad that life is going on for you, and that you are sharing this with all of us. We are all here for you and your fam!... even if you aren't "mine". :)
Post a Comment