Wednesday, October 8, 2008

We're Home...And Off Again

My phone rang constantly today, so I decided that it was time for a post to let everyone know that all is well. We were able to come home on Monday. We were discharged at about noon. So far, Rylee has been doing pretty good. I think she's just so glad to be home! No fevers and nothing major has happened since being home. She's gotten some thrush and a diaper rash, probably side effects of the antibiotic, but we got a prescription for it, so what's another medicine at this point.

We've had a pretty intense week with medication and getting trained by a home health nurse on how to administer the antibiotic through her central line. She has to have the antibiotic every 8 hours, so at 7 a.m, 3 p.m. and 11 p.m. we have to hook her all up and let it run through. It takes about 20 minutes each time. And we have to make sure everything stays clean & sterile. Then she has two to three oral medications, twice a day that we have to give her. On Monday night, I was a little overwhelmed, but it's getting easier with time. Being nurse is totally different than just being mom. I just decided to get a notebook, write the day of the week on it and write down exactly what I need to do that day to take care of her needs. The next day is a new day & I'll worry about it when it comes. Some of the meds she only takes Mon & Tues and so forth, so it's hard to keep everything straight. Hard to believe that before long, this will just feel normal to me.

We came home to a clean welcome. Some of my sisters, mom and a good friend came in and cleaned and disinfected our whole house for us. We also had a freezer full of quick prepare meals that Justin's sister & sis-in-law prepared for us, the ward has provided dinners the last few nights and Jace's aunts/cousins decorated his room & left him all sorts of fun gifts, which really made him feel special.

I cannot explain the out-pouring of love that we have received. We have so many people praying for us, attending the temple, serving and doing any and all that they can to help us. So many meals, offers, gifts, well-wishes and words of encouragement have come our way. It just makes us grateful for all the blessings in our lives.

Something that Elder Quentin Cook said in conference keeps sticking out to me. He said, "Regardless of our trials, with the abundance we have today, we would be ungrateful if we did not appreciate our blessings." I just keep thinking of the family & friends we've been blessed with, modern medicine, skilled Dr.'s, our great marriage, faith promoting experiences, our testimonies & knowledge of the gospel, having our beautiful kids and definitely insurance!(One ambulance ride was nearly $900 and we had 2. Wonder how much Life-Flight is?) We will get through this!

We are off to Salt Lake first thing in the morning. Rylee will receive another chemo treatment, they'll check her blood cell levels and she'll be put under for another bone marrow test and spinal puncture. We are hoping and praying that her treatment has been effective so far and hope that the Leukemia cells will have decreased and that they won't have to intensify her treatment. Also hope that her ANC level have gone up, so we don't have to be on such high alert with her immune system. She is wanting to go outside and take a walk so bad. Nothing is worse than being/feeling couped up! She's her mama's daughter in that way. Justin took the kids on a little drive tonight to get them out and about.

Tomorrow will give us a good idea of where we are and where we need to go. Thanks again to everyone who is pulling for our little family!

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

Natalie,
I have been thinking of you all week and checking your blog for any updates as I haven't wanted to bother you with a call. I hope all goes well in tomorrow. We are praying for you. Hang in there. Let me know what I can do to help. Anything, just ask. Jen

Allisha said...

Nat-
I hope that tomorrow goes well for you. It's amazing to me that you are already seeing good things out of this difficult trial. I thought of you all conference. I loved Elder Cook's talk as well. Hang in there.
Lish

Heidi said...

I am glad to hear that you are home and getting used to a new routine. I hope her tests are promising today.

Suzie said...

I certainly hope all goes well for you today & you can get back home & learn what "normal" is. You are blessed to have 2 wonderful family's close by there who can help you with the adjustment. You worry about being the nurse for now & slowly the other will come back too. You'll do great!

Todd and Veronica said...

We have been checking for updates, too! Good luck today with the treatments. Your positive attitudes will be a big part of the healing process for Rylee.

Jen said...

I'm glad that you posted to give us an update. I have been thinking about you and your sweet family so much over the last few days. You have an amazing attitude! Hope things go well today. Take care!

Kara said...

Natalie
I am so glad that you are doing so well! Your positive attitude is amazing to me. Dont worry about the medical bills. Life flight is a =n expensive bill but some how you figure out how to pay for it! It is not fun, but going to Primary's to get help is the only way to go! You should ask to talk to a social worker and they can help you sort out the medical expenses! They are really good to talk to! Good luck tomorrow! You are in our thoughts and prayers.

cortnieb said...

Thanks for the update! WOW! you really have amazing families!! I am soo glad you have them to help you out! I hope that all goes well tomorrow. Good luck and know that we all really love you guys!

a-anderson said...

I am so glad you updated. I have been wanting to call you, but knowing that you have so much going on right now. I have been waiting. Although, I am sure you are not going to get more time any time soon. I am so happy that your family, friends, and ward are taking such good care of your family. I feel so helpless so far away, but know that we think of you all the time. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Your positive attitue is amazing and inspiring to everyone. Love ya, Alish

cortney and neil said...

It was so good to see you and the kids. I am glad that things are going as well as they are. You are so strong and amazing. Hang in there. We love you tons, and are alway here if you need us. You have listened to me cry plenty. I would always love to return the favor. Oh, and don't worry about the life flight bill etc.. At some point it almost becomes comical at how much you can rack up. :)

STCLIFFORD said...

Natalie,
You are such a positive person. I also thought about you all through conference. I'm so glad to hear things are going better. Good luck with chemo today! Again, please let me know if you need anything.
Tiff

charm said...

You guys have been in our constant prayers!! I can't believe how intense all of it is... but it sounds like you are doing a great job with it. Keep up the great work and the faith, and know that you guys are SOOOOO loved!