Saturday, November 8, 2008

Opposition in All Things

This summer, we put our yard in ("we" really means Justin). Hydro seed was basically the last step- the one I couldn't wait for- Grass! I wanted the instant gratification of sod, but settled for the more economical choice of hydro seed. Weeks went by and we finally started to see our small little budding grass. Then came the weeds & still sit the sprouting weeds amongst our little baby grass. Whenever I look out our window, I think about opposition. Nice that we have grass, not so nice that we have the weeds in the grass.

A few weeks ago, I was on my way home from the grocery store. Long day, ready to get home & get on to the next thing. But what stands in my way? A long train going down the track, blocking the road home. Glad for means of transport, not so glad for the delays.

This weekend, opposition proved itself once again. Rylee and her cousin were playing. Not quite sure how or what happened, but our little cousin somehow managed to break Rylee's central line. Rylee came out to alert me, cousin came out to say she pulled Rylee's "tag" off. I lift up her shirt to a bloody muddle, grabbed the emergency clamp, made a few flustered phone calls and rushed out the door to the E.R. (FYI: the central line is essentially her life-line. It's connected to her heart, everything goes in and out of this line- blood draws, transfusions, chemo, anesthesia, etc.)

Two wasted hours at Madison Memorial E.R., an 8 hour round trip drive to Primary Children's, a mended central line and 12 exhausting hours later, we pulled back into our garage, climbed into our beds and realized once again that there truly is opposition in all things. Great news that treatment is going well and that remission was achieved, feeling that we could now relax a bit- not so great of news to have a complete accident happen, a little scare and unexpected set-back. Opposition!

In Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin's talk at conference he addressed this very issue. He said, "I know why there must be opposition in all things. Adversity, if handled correctly, can be a blessing in our lives. We can learn to love it." Essentially...come what may, and love it! Whether it's weeds in the grass, a train down the track or a broken central line, we can learn to love what we learn from it. Because really, most opposition or adversity doesn't last forever. The grass will eventually take over the weeds, the train will go down the track and central lines can be repaired. Opposition can be overcome. And... I'm learning everyday how it really can become a blessing. I've experienced so many instances that I've really come to know the truth in this. We are gaining so much, despite our loss.
What I learned to love from this last bit of opposition was to appreciate what I used to have day in and day out- "normalcy." I never used to fully appreciate it for what it was- my perspective has now been changed and I have learned contentment. I found this poem that explains it perfectly.

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return. {Mary Jean Iron}

As we were driving back from Salt Lake in the wee hours of the morning, I layed my head on Justin's shoulder and told him that some day we'll have it back. Our "normal." This too shall pass. And I wonder why I sometimes thought it was so hard before. I will cherish the day when Rylee can play without worry, when we no longer have weekly Dr. appointments or treatments to go to, when there will be no need for daily medications, when she can go out and about without fear of germs or getting dangerously sick, when a week goes by that we aren't waiting on one test result or another, when giving her a bath will no longer require saran wrap, press 'n seal or tape to protect her dressing, when she can lay her belly down and submerge in the water and kick and get water wherever she wants to without risk of getting infection in her line. Just a good 'ol normal day. Bless that day! I will be grateful for it.
But for now...we'll learn from our opposition. Because without the opposition, we wouldn't recognize what a blessing life is-just plain old simple, normal life. We could not rid Rylee of this disease without dealing with some opposition. And it's worth every bit of opposition for us to do so. Beautiful daughter, terrible disease. Opposition! Accidents happen, just grateful that it all worked out. Come what may!

(And just to be clear- there are no hard feelings over this. Her cousin is only a little older than Rylee & does not understand or know better. We were all shocked that it even happened. It really wasn't anyone's fault. This is new to all of us and with this comes some adjustments, changes and lessons learned.)

9 comments:

Bev Taylor said...

Natalie--You're amazing.. you better watch out or you'll be getting calls to do motivational speaking engagements. We love you all--hang in there.

Bree said...

Wow. Your attitude and perspective never cease to amaze me. I don't even know what to say...if only I had your gift of words! :) We think and pray for you often. Thank you for your post and insights, Nat!

STCLIFFORD said...

Natalie,
You have such a great attitude!! How hard it must have been to find the good in such a scary, difficult situation. That perfect day will come before you know it. Hang in there!!

Suzie said...

I was thinking the exact thing that Bev said, must be that Menan water running through our veins. Love your insights & we think of & pray for you often!

Jen said...

That must have been a scary experience! I often get bogged down with "normal day" activities around here. Thank you for giving me perspective, once again.

The Wyatt's said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Natalie. Your are very inspiring. You do have such a great attitude. I will appreciate my normal day more tomorrow and continue to pray for you and your family. Thank you.

a-anderson said...

Nat,
I just love that! I need a daily Inspirational thought from you. I will be checking back for more!:)

Harris Happenings said...

Love the poem! We have been doing the "be thankful in all things" game lately. It is similar to the opposition game it sounds like you've been playing! It is so important to see the good, no matter how small or how hard it is to find!

Jen said...

Through you, we're trying to stand a little taller, embrace the mundance, and tolerate the frustrations, that we realize are not nearly so frustrating after all. I really think I am holding a little more, and stressing less. Thank you for sharing with us, your strength in this adversity. Love ya.