Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Trip Not Taken

This morning at approx. 8 a.m. we were supposed to board a plane to Israel. It's a trip that's been in the works for a few years now. Tickets had been bought, babysitters had been lined up, time off was arranged and we were really looking forward to going. My parents and all of my siblings + spouses are on their way to the Holy Land as I speak. It would have been our first international trip, the first stamp on our passport and is said to be a "life changing" experience.

We opted not to go when Rylee was diagnosed with Leukemia. I guess you could say there were just too many details and concerns to leave behind. So...our tickets were sold, Justin's family got off the hook with taking our kids on for 10 days and our passports sit in our cupboard- unstamped. I guess we got a different kind of "life changing" experience instead.

I'm not feeling sorry for myself- that's not my intention at all. So please don't pity me. We actually feel more relieved about staying- it would have been hard to really relax and enjoy ourselves if we would have gone anyway. It's just a trip. Sometimes sacrifices have to made as parents.










You are the trip I did not take.
You are the pearls I cannot buy
You are my blue Italian Lake
You are my piece of foreign sky.
{Unknown}

So...if you've ever had to miss out on something, for whatever reason, here's another quote I like that keeps it in perspective.

" For everything you have missed, you have gained something else, and for everything you gain, you lose something else."
{Ralph Waldo Emerson}

9 comments:

charm said...

I think we've all had our share of things to miss out on... whether it's simple things like missing out on sitting around the table playing games with the family (cuz you have to breastfeed in the back room... or BIG things like Israel! No matter what... IT SUCKS!!... but like always, you have an awesome attitude! I'm sure you guys are very missed!... oh, the places this life takes us!

Suzie said...

Love those quotes Nat! Once again, you better watch it or they're gonna have you speaking at Women's Conference!

cortney and neil said...

I had to miss my trip to Isreal to. I am pretty sure I have already given you my sob story about it. Have your family bring you back an olive wood nativity scene, and you will feel much better I promise.

a-anderson said...

Okay make me cry again!!!
Sorry you had to miss out on the trip. You have been planning it forever. I guess life just happens.

kiddle97 said...

Oh Natalie,
That was beautiful; thank you for posting that. You have so much love and I feel honoured to witness it, even if it's just through this little bit of cyberspace. Best wishes.

Camille said...

I love those quotes! I hope that you have a wonderful 10 days at home, enjoying the kids and having "vacation" a different way. You may as well skip cooking a few meals and order in, so that you still get vacation from a few dishes!

Kristie Lemons said...

Natalie, We really are missing you guys out here. we found the internet access so I decided to drop you a note. Just not the same eithout you but we know why you had to stay home. love kristie

Robison's said...

You have such a good attitude about life. You and Justin are doing such a good job with your little ones. We are thinking about your family and hope all continues to go well for Rylee.

Allison Holt said...

Natalie,
We are all sitting here together and We all miss you and Justin! We got Rylee a necklace with her name in Hebrew!!!! So we are wondering what you guys would like... We are still looking for Jace. You guys are NOT missing out on the food for sure!!!!! NOT KIDDING!!!! We hope everything is going well!!! Tell Justin that he would fit in good with the Arabs here!!!!! Love ya... The FAM!!!!