Sunday, November 2, 2008

A Glimpse/Update: Rylee's First Phase

So...I've been meaning to do some updates on Rylee and then I decided to hold off until we got the results back from the bone marrow test that she got last week. Thursday, Oct. 30 was Rylee's Day 28-the last day of Induction or the first phase of treatment. She had to have a bone marrow test and also a spinal puncture, where they've been giving chemo into the spinal fluid to prevent any Leukemia cells from forming there.

It's hard to believe that a month has already past since her diagnosis. Even harder to believe all that we've experienced in just a month's time. I think most of it has sunk in and we've got a pretty good handle on things now, although there are moments when this is still difficult to fully comprehend: what we're dealing with and what's ahead. The month has been full of ups and downs, but overall, it's been better than I was initially expecting. I decided to give you all a little glimpse at what it's been like in this first phase.

This past month (October) Rylee has gone through a lot. She's been diagnosed with ALL (Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia), gone on 2 ambulance rides and one ride on life flight, spent nearly a week at Primary Children's Hospital, had a central line inserted in her chest, has had 4 red blood cell transfusions and 3 platelet transfusions, gone through 4 rounds of chemo, got a PEG (chemo) shot into a muscle in her leg, had an EKG, been put under for 4 bone marrow aspirates and 3 spinal punctures, she's had 3 chemo treatments in her spine, taken steroids twice a day everyday, has had the appetite of a teenage boy, gained over 5 pounds and got all puffed up due to the steroids, been on and then off of an antibiotic administered through her central line every 8 hours for nearly a week, has taken a medication (Septra) twice a day every Monday and Tuesday to prevent pneumonia, taken several other medications daily, visited the Dr. once a week, got her blood taken and tested every week, her hair has thinned, she got thrush in the mouth for a few days and has had a bad diaper rash, that we've been treating with yet another medication. And somehow this child has managed to keep smiling and be happy.

But...the good news is that she's achieved remission! I know it may seem soon to some, however, about 95% of leukemia patients achieve remission in the first month of treatment. She actually achieved remission on her Day 14- they achieve remission if they have 5% or less leukemia cells detected in the bone marrow and blood. Two weeks ago, Rylee's was at 1% and this week's results detected 0% in the bone marrow, blood and on the molecular level. It is what was expected and certainly what we have been hoping and praying for. Otherwise, more intense treatment would have been necessary.

We wish it was just that easy though-that it was all said and done in a month. Through studies and research, they have found that it always relapses if they don't treat leukemia for just over 2 years (about 3.5 years for boys). And it most commonly relapses in the spinal fluid, which then affects the brain and central nervous system. That's why they do chemo in the spine, to prevent any bad cells from going there. So..essentially, this is just the beginning for us. There is still a long road ahead. But...the good news is that we're going to be able to move the majority of her treatments to Rexburg now. Still weekly for now- she'll still get a spinal punctures weekly, but no more bone marrow tests will be necessary, unless relapse happens. We'll learn more about the next phase of treatment this week, but basically they have taken her off the steroids for awhile and she'll start a new type of chemo and possibly some other meds as well. This week will just be blood work because to move to the next phase, it's count dependent. Dr. Jeff Hancock is a pediatric oncologist here & he trained at Primary Children's and the Mayo Clinic. He's from Rexburg originally and just joined Dr. Dixon's practice about 2 years ago. He is highly recommended at Primary's and he was the specialist they called in at the E.R. that originally gave us Rylee's diagnosis. We feel really good about him & even better that he's close and convenient since the winter weather is on it's way & I'm getting bigger & bigger each day being pregnant.

As I've said before, there is a lot of hope for Rylee. Based on age at diagnosis, type of leukemia, sex and response to treatment, Rylee is in a low to standard risk bracket. If treated for just under 2.5 years, they have about an 85%-90% success rate. However, I've seen cancer enough now to know it's unpredictable. Last week I met another parent who's son is almost 6 years old. He was diagnosed at 17 months and they have been at this fight for 4 years. His relapsed in the maintenance phase(last phase) and he is now at his last 10 weeks of his second go-round. The second go is much more intense. I really hope that we'll only have to endure this once, but realize that anything is possible.

Thank you again for your many thoughts, prayers and concern. We continue to feel the strength and power of the many prayers being offered in our behalf. This month, aside from everything that we've been through, we have also witnessed the gospel in action. Faith works, hope is real, charity never faileth, there is power in the Priesthood, prayers are answered, sacrifices of fasting are rewarded, the Spirit guides and comforts us, God knows us and loves us and He has a plan for each of us. There is no such thing as coincidence. He has purpose for all of us and has carefully been preparing this path for us by putting us in the right places at the right times and has blessed our lives with all the right people to help us get through this. We've experienced all of this first-hand, which is really, a post in and of itself.

17 comments:

Bree said...

Wow! I couldn't help but tear up reading your post. Thank you for sharing that glimpse into what you've been dealing with. I'm happy to hear about Rylee's remission and hope and pray all continues to go well over the next couple years of treatment. Thanks for your testimony--you are so amazing!

Suzie said...

You need to start supplying Kleenex for those of us on the reading end. I'm so happy that sweet Rylee is doing so well, all things considered. You are such a wonderful mom. When you were listing off all the treatments that she has endured this last month, I was sitting there like wow, I have no clue what half of those things entail. I'm sure it's been hard to be the mommy, but I can tell that your spirit remains strong. Thank you for sharing and teaching the rest of us who continue to pray for you and your sweet family!

Jen said...

What a month! I am so happy that Rylee's body is responding well to the treatments. You have an amazing attitude and a wonderful testimony. Thanks for sharing them both with all of us. We'll continue praying that you will have the strength and comfort needed to get through!

STCLIFFORD said...

I'm so happy she is doing so good. You will love Dr. Dixons office. The nurses and all of his staff are so awesome.

The Wyatt's said...

It's good to hear Rylee is doing so well. I can't believe all she has been through. You are amazing Natalie. Thanks for sharing your testimony. You are so strong.

Arfmann Family said...

Poodles-
Glad to hear the good results. Lots of people have been asking about her progress and I'm glad to be able to share some good news. Thanks for the update. Call me if you need me to keep Jace tomorrow or Friday.
Hollie

Brad and Rebecca said...

Thanks for the update, we are still praying for you guys and are so happy to hear the she is doing better!

Amy said...

Thank you for that post Nat! She is such a beautiful little girl, and she has the greatest parents in the world! You are so amazing! You're such an incredible example to me! I'm so glad to hear she's in remission!

a-anderson said...

Nat, thanks for the update. I am always thinking about you and your family and wondering how things are going. I am glad that things are looking good for Rylee, but like you said there is still a lot more to come. I cannot believe how much that little sweetie has gone through in such a short time. She is such a cute little thing. Thanks for sharing your trials and your faith. You have such optimism, I love that about you!

Chantri said...

I am so happy she is doing so well. She is so adorable! As I was reading this post I was so excited that I would stop and tell Stacey the good news...then he'd ask a questions and I was like,"oh just a minute let me read a little more to find out!" We are just so thrilled with with the good news!

Your testimony is amazing and you are such a wonderful mom.

Jennifer said...

I can't believe all that she has gone through. I'm so glad to hear that things are going well. You have been so positive through all of this - an example to us all. Jen

Heidi said...

I am thrilled to hear that Rylee is in remission. Prayers really are answered. Your post was inspiring and Rylee is an amazing little girl to stay happy through this last month of treatment. We will keep praying for happy news in the next few years.

Shana Dee said...

Man, she is such a doll! Her smile is contagious. Thanks for sharing your strength and testimony.

Jon and Nicole Palmer said...

YAHOOO!!!!! GO Rylee! I'm crying right night reading this post. I know it sounds corny, but I'm so proud of you guys! It's weird, but I am! I'm so glad that you are able to recieve treatments in Rexburg, there's something about the doctors there that is comforting....maybe just that it's smaller and less intimidating, I don't know. I'm so happy for you guys.

Audra Gines said...

I agree about the Kleenex... always a tear jerker reading your blogs. I am so glad to hear that she is reacting so good to the medicines. We will cont. to keep you in our prayers and hope that all continues to go well.

We love you all and wish you the best...
xoxo
The Gines

cortnieb said...

what a month!! there hasnt been a day I havent thought about you since you posted her diagnosis!! Im so glad she is doing well and will continue to think of you in my prayers!!

Camille said...

What wonderful news! She is such a cutie. It is so obvious how much you and Justin love her. THanks for sharing her story and fight with the rest of us.