Wednesday, September 30, 2009

One year down, 1.25 years to go.....

Well, we did it! Today we have officially survived our first year of cancer. I must say that it feels much better to be where we are right now, than it felt a year ago.

{A look back at Rylee through her first year of cancer. }
It actually feels like the year went by surprisingly fast, yet there were a lot days, some very hard days within that year. It stirs up a lot of deep emotion for me as I reflect back on this past year. Considering where we have been and where we are today, I must say that ultimately, I am just so grateful that we have arrived. So glad to see that year behind us. I really hope that I never have to endure one that like that again.

Last year, when we were in route to Primary Children's, aboard Life Flight, I knew that we were in for it. I looked around... Rylee was laying there, very lethargic with an IV coming out of the top of her head. Two nurses were monitoring her every breath and held a bag of blood on ice, ready to transfuse at any moment in flight ....I realized at that moment that life as we knew it was gone. We still had so many questions and answers and many unknowns, but I knew that this would be a defining moment in our lives, something that would change everything.

{Who said kids don't come with an instruction manual? Kids with cancer do. This is our cancer bible that we were sent home with from PCMC. I've read it cover to cover. If you ever need to do a report, I've got references galore!}

And you know what? It has. Absolutely. The journey has been unexplainable. It's been difficult on so many levels. We lost health, we lost a piece of Rylee, we watched her morph from one thing to the next as effects of chemo, drugs and poor health set in. We've been in and out of hospitals, went from one procedure to the next, from this lab to that appointment, have diligently given some type of medication daily. We've fought several battles, had many inconveniences, a few set backs and have had our hearts broken more than once. We've been sanitized, isolated and had to miss out a time or two. There have been highs, lows, frustrations and tender mercies.

But you know what? It has all been worth it. This is Rylee today. She has grown up on us in the middle of the fight of her life. She was a baby of 18 months at diagnosis and is now a 2.5 year old little lady. She's now in a big girl bed and is learning how to use the potty. When we arrived at Primary Children's we were told that she was lucky to be alive. Her blood counts were at a dangerously low level. That shakes you. When I look at all that we've gone through, no matter what-- it has been worth it. Worth it to have her here with us, worth it to experience these milestones, worth it to hear her laugh and listen to her talk and remind us what life is all about and what really matters.

She's not been feeling great today. She had treatment (spinal tap + chemo) on Monday and she's starting to feel it. She's also a litle emotional from her montly dose of steroids this week. This has all become part of our new normal. But, we'll continue fighting. We'll get her well. I really feel like the worst of it is behind us.

{Wow! Look at all that hair. Thanks $8 Hannah Montana wig}

So..tonight we're going to enjoy a very normal night as a family. Something that we didn't have for much of the year. Today is a celebration. A celebration of our survivor, Rylee. To celebrate what we've gotten through, to celebrate what is behind us, to celebrate what we've learned.

"There is no obstacle too great, no challenge too difficult, if we have faith." (President Gordon B. Hinckley)

{Heads Up: While I've shared much of our journey on our blog, there are several aspects that I feel have been left out. I could honestly write a book about many aspects of our experience, but who has the time to write a book? Certainly not me. Instead, I've decided to share a little more depth of our experience during this month that marks our one year cancer anniversary. This is really more for our family history than anything, as I plan to do a blog book, so I'm sorry if it feels like I'm beating a dead horse. }

17 comments:

Mauri said...

What a joyous day for your family! What a beautiful little girl you have been blessed with and what a milestone! I cannot even begin to comprehend what this year has been like for you. You have been so courageous and you have been such examples of faith. I have cried so much reading your journey and hope you know how much we have prayed for all of you during this difficult road. Congratulations on having a normal evening at home with the family. You deserve it! Best of luck to all of you as you continue to get and keep that precious little angel healthy and strong! Happy Day!!

kaTie said...

Do it. Do your blog book. Document everything you possibly can. Why? Because it becomes a memory! I truly have forgotten (or blocked) some of the things you have mentioned in this post. And we just finished chemo March of this year. So, it wasn't that long ago... it's crazy.

I'm excited to read your upcoming posts. People who have not experienced cancer don't have an emotion attached to the word "cancer". It helps give them insight. It's not easy to deal with, but you sharing your story - shows that it is possible to keep living.

I'm so happy that you will share Your thoughts. Your emotions. Your journey.

Kristie Lemons said...

I also hope you will continue to write about Riley's journey. I am always teary eyed when I read your posts of her and then when I see her I sm so happy that she is the little person that she is. You are a great mom with great kids.

a-anderson said...

That was beautiful Nat. I love what you wrote and have always loved your outlook. Congrats on surviving this past year!

The Hokansons said...

You have always been good at preserving your memories, photos, and thoughts. You will look back at this and be so glad you included these feelings- you will never forget your understanding that you have at this very moment of how precious life truly is. It's a reminder for all of us.

Bev Taylor said...

I've been thinking alot this week about the past year. I'll never forget the feelings of shock, of fear, of faith, of hope that we felt watching the EMTs prepare Rylee for the trip at the hospital and then watching the Life Flight fly off into the darkness as we drove home that night. She's our miracle!!!

angie said...

I really don't know how you guys have done it! Amazing. Great job Rylee, I am sure this has been hard for you. Keep beating that dead horse, Natalie, I enjoy being updated.

Allison Holt said...

I always love to read your blog. I also get teary eyed when I read your blog! Way to go Rylee!

Suzie said...

Thanks for sharing your journey with us! I know you've taught me to enjoy each day with my kids & be grateful for the health that we take for granted each & every day. You've taught me to have faith & keep plugging along even when it seems hard. What a sweet post for a sweet, beautiful little girl!

Meg said...

I love reading your blog! Your such an example to so many and I'm so glad you share your story with the world! You are an amazing mom!

Jennifer said...

I've been thinking about the one year mark this week and Conference weekend at Primary Children's and about Rylee. We love her. What a miracle!! Jen

cortnieb said...

WOW!! She does look so much older!! What a doll!! You're a great mom!
P.S. How is your Dad doing..I've thought about him often...I hope Im not being annoying.

The Wyatt's said...

You are so good with words. You should write a book someday. Or at least a blog book would be awesome history. You are so good at writing your feelings. You will be so thankful that you took the time to write them someday when you go back to read them and when your kids do the same. Rylee really is growing up. Her hair looks so thick. Is it coming in thicker than before? She is a doll. You have been amazing over this past year and such a good example to so many of us reading your blog. Thanks for sharing

Kara said...

You are such an awesome mom! You have amazing strength! I am glad that you have made it through the first year!

charm said...

Congrats, Rylee!!... and Congrats, Taylors! She really has turned into a gorgeous little lady, and I'm so amazed at your family's strength and endurance through it all so far. You are all amazing!

Arfmann Family said...

Yay Rylee!!! We have been thinking about her and are so amazed at her progress. I love that she can wear a pony again!!
See you soon!

Heidi said...

Yeah! Rylee looks so good. You are almost there. Miss you.