
Well, we're not quite out of the storm yet. Thankfully we've got some stuff behind us, but it seems like we're still dealing with a lot of the aftermath. Still trying to get things 'normalized' around here.
Exhausted: The other day, I decided to count how many

different medical-related appointments we've had collectively as a family over the past two months & it blew my mind. In February, we had 18 different appointments in 28 days and before March is over, we'll have had 24 in 31 days. This includes any hospitalization, Dr. visits, lab appointments, home health, chemo, ER visits, etc. This does not however include any medication, which is a schedule in and of itself. Not to mention our other obligations and life schedule.
Hospital: 
As mentioned before, Rylee had to be admitted to the hospital last Saturday and actually had to stay until Tuesday. Basically she caught the flu bug. What's usually a mere inconvenience for most of us, really is a big deal when Rylee gets it, especially in the middle of so much chemo. Her counts were so low- it just really got to her. All things considered, we actually have been lucky that this has been her only hospitalization (besides a couple in/out [meaning several hours)]trips to the ER) since being diagnosed, especially since we've been in cold and flu season. And we almost made it the whole way without having to be admitted.

Shucks!
She loved it when her brothers would come & visit. Things can get pretty boring in the hospital after 4 days. She always does remarkably well though- I cannot say enough how much her temperament, personality, cooperation and disposition are such a blessing. It is no coincidence that she came here with her spirit. Heavenly Father knew she would need it to carry out what her plan had in store for her. All of the nurses loved her & couldn't believe how well she does with all of this crap she has to go through.

She's all smiles! She was so glad to be unhooked from all the stuff for awhile. Rylee is always a little pack rat. She gathered up all of our stuff & made this cabinet her secret little place- putting everything inside. She'd go back & forth- in her own little game in her mind. I on the other hand, got a good read in. Must say that
Tuesday's with Morrie is a great book about life lessons. Great perspective!
It's such a pain to have her in the

hospital. Thankfully our family was here to save us again. I would pump bottles and our family would help us out with the baby and Jace. I would stay at the hospital all day until Jus could get off work and then he would come & trade me off and stay the night with Rylee, so I could be home to feed the baby overnight. Then it would be up first thing in the morning, trade Jus off, he'd come home & shower and off to work again. Thank goodness it's over, at least if we can keep her healthy for awhile.
Good News: Last Thursday, Rylee finally finished Delayed Intensification (the last phase before maintenance). It has been both delayed and intense! Since she got sick- this treatment got pushed off a week initially and with nearly 2 straight weeks of chemo, a spinal tap and the flu in between, it certainly has been intense. She got her final dose of this chemo on Thursday. Hooray! I'm glad to have the worst behind us.
The Bad News: Oh, I was really looking forward to a break. I kept thinking that things would relax once we got over this phase & into maintenance and it will, but not quite yet. Today Rylee had an appointment to check her counts & such. Unfortunately, pretty much all of her levels are really low. She was actually borderline for a blood transfusion today. It's all expected due to all the chemo, but it is also exhausting. with We have to be very careful

to keep her healthy, which can become isolating. It also makes her sluggish and she doesn't feel well, which means more whining & wanting to be held & carried, which is a hard balance with a demanding newborn as well. It takes a few weeks for the chemo to wear off so to say, so even when she's not getting chemo, we're still dealing all the effects of it for weeks. This is true with cancer in general. If it's not one thing, it's another. For instance, Rylee had to be sent home on an antibiotic from the

hospital to protect her, since they resumed with the chemo schedule. We have to hook it up to her line 3 times a day, every 8 hours. It takes a half an hour to run through. She is cooperative with this, but I feel bad to make her sit there for a half an hour, so I decided to use this cute little purse that a good friend sent her. I just put the medicine inside and she can carry on playing, holding it in her little purse. All we can do is make the best of our situation.
So, from here, we have to check blood again next Monday, then she'll have another spinal tap/chemo in spine on April 6, along with her now monthly shot of chemo. This will be her only spinal tap for the next 3 months. Like I said, it will relax...just not yet.
11 comments:
I love your little purse idea! Your kids look as beautiful as ever. Glad things are easing up. Loves.
I am glad to see things are getting a little better. I seriously started crying for you when I read your last post. I am sure you are so exhausted and I really admire how positive you seem to be staying. Bless you and your little family.
I'm glad that you got a chance to read a book (and that is a good one too)! I'm sorry that it had to be in the hospital. Rylee is such a little trooper. Actually, you all are! I'm glad that things are getting somewhat better.
I am so glad that things are getting easier for you! We think about your little family often!!
I have been gone, and just got caught up on your past three posts. I seriously don't even know what to say! I am exhausted just reading about your busy life. I know you just wanted to get through march and it will be over next week. Hnag in there. You are amazing!
Thanks for sharing. I hope Rylee stays healthy while her counts are low. One day at a time. We love you guys.
It's so good to hear things are looking up. You were right...things always get worse before they get better. Hopefully everything will go good now. We will be praying for you. You've been so strong through all of this. It's time for your break.
Natalie, you are my hero! I write this with tears in my eyes cause what I thought to be a rough couple of days with my kids and life seems absolutely ridiculous to what you do on a daily basis and do well I must add!! I am sure that writing it all down helps you out a ton, but please know just how much reading your blog means to Im sure soo many! Hang in there and know that your family is in my thoughts and prayers!
One other thing Natalie... I thought this the first time I read this post and again this time... You look great! Not only do you look good for just having a baby, but you look happy, your eyes sparkle, and you look so put together! There is optimism just pouring out of you! (just an observation I have made. Hope you have a great day!) :)
I haven't gotten a chance to check your blog lately. I am so sorry that everything just seems to happen at once. You are so strong. Know that you and your family are in our prayers.
I wanted to tell you that when Logan was a baby he cried all the time. Didn't take good naps either. He wanted to eat all the time. I thought he had collic, because that is what everyone told me... poor you they would say! When he was 8 weeks old I FINALLY called his Dr. for any help/advise, that something must be wrong. His Dr said he didn't believe in collic, that he believes it is something wrong. He told me before I gave him away (ha ha) that he wanted to try Prevacid for him. We dissolved a little 15 mg tablet in water every morning to give to him. It was night and day difference! Just thought I would let you know. Hope blessing & a normal life/routine come your way soon.
nat-you are AMAZING!! hang in there! i can't imagine the stress you must be under...you guys are constantly in our prayers and my boys like to see pictures of rylee...we love you and hope you get the much needed break soon...
Post a Comment