Saturday, March 14, 2009

Yep...things can always get worse!

Just because I said that I can do hard things...doesn't mean that I want to do even harder things. I think someone upstairs is getting the wrong idea about me. Plus, my last post should have said I can do hard things WITH HELP (lots of it)!

My day started out with finding Rylee in a crib full of throw up. Poor thing had nausea ALL DAY. After 3 baths, 2 showers, several changes of clothes for me, her and my mom, lots of loads of laundry, some quick clean up on the carpet and couch and about 5 hours later- the throwing up FINALLY stopped.

I was a pretty sorry case first thing this morning. Justin had already left for work (it's tax season mind you). Jace was up, Jaden was up & fed, but not burped and Rylee was crying for me. I go to Rylee's room to get her, find the mess & get her in the bath immediately. Boys were still content. Just as I was getting Rylee out of the tub, Jaden starts fussing. So, I grab him, get Rylee out and start trying to dress her, while also trying to calm him down. Rylee doesn't feel well, only wants me. Jaden won't settle down, needs to burp-hard to do one handed. Quick call to Jus to make sure that he really has to work today, he ensures me that he does. Realizing very quickly that it's going to be impossible for me to do this alone (two crying kids on your lap will do that), I call my mom (woke her up) to see if she has plans for the day. She says she can be here in 45 minutes.

Meanwhile....baby won't calm down and Rylee won't quit throwing up. I know that I can't make it alone for 45 minutes. So....I have Jace track down the phone & dial up Jus for me (which, by the way, if you've called our house recently, you'll note that Jace has become our official phone concierge). Justin comes home to help until my mom can get here. When he gets to our house, I'm sitting on the couch, bouncing baby on one hand and holding Rylee on my lap that is full of 4 rounds of fresh throw up-on both me & Rylee. I then prop the baby up to re-situate and yep, you guess it, he spits up. Yummy!

And this was all in the first waking hour! The day proceeds accordingly- throw up, clean up, do laundry, soothe crying baby, nurse, hold Rylee, etc. My poor mom always gets stuck with our dirty work too. She has been so much help to us this past month. I finally got some more anti-nausea into Rylee & she quits throwing up, takes a nap and of course, wakes up with a fever. Fevers are a big deal for her. We have protocol to follow if it gets too high. Well...it got too high. It was at 102, so I call the after-hours number. (Everything happens on weekends, holidays or nights, I swear). They say to give her some Tylenol and watch things for an hour. We give it two hours and her fever is still at 100.9, the throwing up stopped, but then she got diarrhea! I call back and report, get connected to our Dr. and he says to take her to the E.R.

So...Justin took Rylee to the E.R. tonight about 5:30, while I stayed here with the boys. Rylee got some fluids pumped through her to hydrate her, got an antibiotic, chest X-ray and they did a CBC to see where her counts were at. Well...they were too low, so Rylee had to be admitted tonight to the hospital. Justin's staying up there with her, while I stay here with the boys- because I'm pretty sure Jaden will get hungry through the night. Just more proof of what I said earlier...it's hard! Feeling very torn between my children's needs. Speaking of which...small fry (a.k.a. Jaden) has been a bit of a fusser. I don't even want to say the word colic, but there have been a few hours these last few nights that I'm wondering if that's the case. Pray really hard for me that it's not colic. (It just seems that he always gets a really bad belly ache & only wants to eat, but I feel like all I do is feed him! Any tips?) And while you're at in, say a few words for Rylee and all of us. We've got another week just like this one ahead of us to get through.

We just can't seem to catch a break around here. I feel like we're becoming a complete "needy case"- if it's not one thing, it's another! Not to mention that it seems as if I'm the official poster child for measuring how good/bad your life is compared to mine. It's not hard to beat lately- seriously count your many blessings. Especially if you're in good health, say a big prayer of thanks. You just don't know what you've got, til it's gone.

I failed to mention my mantra songs: Sugar Ray: I get knocked down..., JoDee Messina, Bring on the Rain, and Tim McGraw Keep on Walkin'... Something's gotta get you through it.

13 comments:

Jen said...

Dear sweet Natalie...my heart goes out to you. You have so much on your plate, but your attitude and faith are amazing. I am glad that your mom is close to help you out and that you have such a great husband. I will be praying for your little family. Hang in there!

Suzie said...

Oh Nat...I'm so sorry... Does it even seem possible that it won't be long till you'll look back & say, "how did we do that?" but you will, & I'm thinking you're gonna do it with flying colors!
As for small fry, my boys were both like that. Go buy some gas drops & give them to him every time he eats. Also when you (or anyone) are holding him have him lay down on his back & pump his legs so his knees go up to his belly do this over & over, or hold him on his belly in the palm of your hand (dad's hands work great for this job). The pressure on his belly will help get that dang gas out.
Hang in there. Sending lots of love your way...
Suzie

Robison's said...

I feel so bad for you guys. Every time I think it's hard I stop to think what you are going through. Your familly is in our prayers. I really hope Rylee starts to feel better. Good luck with Jaden. I have to say that Porter had a little colic when he was a baby. I got one of those Papasan cradle swings and he loved it. I think he slept in it until it wouldn't swing anymore, which ment he was to big. My doctor said that the sideways rocking probaly soothes his stomach. If you don't have one I would be more than happy to let you borrow ours to see if it works.

Arfmann Family said...

We got your back sista!! One thing on the fussy stomach with Jaden--NO Chocolate. Even one chocolate chip with my kids and they were throwing up like it was WWII. It sounds harsh too, but sometimes, especially with Savanna, I just had to let her cry it out. This week's pretty mellow for us. Just Dance on Wed. Lauren B day on Friday, so I can come whenever you need to help. Lemme Know.

Jennifer said...

I am constantly thinking about you and wish I didn't live away so I could be there and help. You are all in prayers, as always. Jen

The McMullin's said...

Natalie...I'm so sorry to hear all that you are going through. You are such a strong person to go through it and to still have your head held up. You are an amazing mother. If you guys ever need help, I'm right down the street! We will keep your family in our prayers and thoughts, not that we ever stopped!

Bree said...

Natalie! Cort mentioned she saw you at the ER. I swear I check your blog often, but I always seem to be behind on your updates! I'm so sorry for the added hardships you've been facing. I am always in awe of your attitude, faith, and strength!! I pray for you and your family and hope things will get better. I know they will in time...hopefully SOON! :) Please let me know if I can help in any way!

Jon and Nicole Palmer said...

Nat, I hate to say the colic word either, and I hope that things have are better with Jaden's fussiness. But, if he's still fussy and you can't calm him down, try turning on a blow dryer and putting in his room next to his bed. I know it sounds crazy, but it is the only thing that would calm Chase down. I asked our Dr. and he said it won't hurt their ears. Also, wrap him up tight and set him in a bouncy seat up against the dryer while it's running, or the shower. Sometimes that helped. I'm thinking that you and Justin get a first class, express ticket to the Celestial Kingdom after this "season" passes. You are one tough girl.

Jon and Nicole Palmer said...

One more thing I forgot to mention. The blow dryer is the only thing that gave us any relief at night. So, don't be afraid to let it run for a few hours (on cool) if it works. We turned it on every night for almost two months, we blew the motor out of two, but it was totally worth it. I hope something works, and you're able to get the rest you need:)

Heidi said...

We pray for you guys daily. Is Jaden still fusy? Becky's baby cried and cried after each feeding. They finally figured out that she had acid reflux. A few drops of prescription medicine before the feeding fixed her right up. If your situation sounds the same, I would ask your doctor about it. Love you.

Brad and Rebecca said...

I am glad Heidi told you about our situ with Addison. She screamed constantly unless she was nursing or sleeping....acid reflux. Some prevacid worked like a dream and by 8 weeks old she was a dream. We think of you guys and are praying for you...thank goodness you have family close by to help...hang in there....

Jen said...

Sorry that we are a big family of unhealthy sickies, and not so quick to run to your rescue. We do pray for you often. We'll get better (and older), and be checking on you, soon. Love ya.

Jana said...

Sorry I'm late in the congratulations on having the cutest little boy! He's so cute, seriously! I'll pray for you. I can't even imagine doing what you're doing right now. Suzie gave great advice for the gas. I always had to stop taking my prenatal vitamin because for some reason it really made my kids fussy (probably high iron). You may try that. Sleep was more important to me than the vitamin at that point. Good luck, it's always a guessing game for me. I loved all the songs you listed. I listen to some of them when I'm having a hard time as well. Music lifts me up.
Take care!