just felt incredibly blessed, essentially that he had been part of a miracle. He said that the chances of surviving a plane crash were slim to none (something like 1 in a billion). I also heard that the co-pilot pointed out to the pilot (after they were rescued) that he was the only pilot to ever pull off a successful "ditch." Seriously, what are the chances that first of all, a flock of birds would cause a plane crash, and second, that all 150 passengers survived? Incredible!
Then all the talk of the upcoming Inauguration caused me to think about the chances of the United States ever having a black President. Whether we like it or not, history is being made. I remember at the first of the elections, I thought what are chances of a minority (a woman, a Mormon or a black person) actually getting elected as president? Now the chance has been given. This isn't the first time that we've been part of a
statistic. When I pregnant with Jace, our ultrasound found Choroid Plexus Cysts on his brain. (Basically these are pockets of cerebral spinal fluid that typically fill in as the pregnancy progresses. They are essentially harmless if that's the case, but on an ultrasound, they can also be indicators of chromosome abnormalities.)We were told that these cysts only occur in about 1% of fetuses, however, about 95% of the time, it turns out to be nothing. As you can imagine, being my first pregnancy and all, I was pretty shocked. "What are the chances that we are the 1%?" I wondered. With some additional testing, all was well, and we fell into the 95% statistic-chances being for us.
So...this week was a week of preparations of sorts for us. First, we got enrolled and set up for the
cord blood banking process. We were advised to bank some cord blood of our new baby since we are in the situation that we are in. We were eligible for a free banking service for people in situations such as ours, so we decided to take advantage of the opportunity. What are the chances that we'll ever use the stem cells? We're not sure. We hope that standard/traditional treatment will take care of things, but we want to be prepared just in case.
We also attended a seminar/free dinner put on by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Foundation this week. The topic centered around childhood cancer survivors and re-entry/entry into the education system. They discussed the late-effects (cognitive, phychological, emotional, etc.) of cancer treatments and risk factors, etc.
I'm a big believer in becoming educated on what's ahead for us. However, some of what I learned can be disturbing. What are the chances of all or some of these effects actually happening to Rylee? We don't know & could possibly not know for years. That's why they're called late effects. Basically it made me realize that we're really between a rock and a hard spot. If we rejected doing chemo, cancer could overtake her body, spine, central nervous system or brain. If we stick to traditional treatment, the chemo can and most likely will have at least some lasting negative effects. Will Rylee beat all the odds? I guess we'll take our chances.
13 comments:
Thanks for the invitation to your blog. I want you to know that we "bless the Taylor baby" every night in our family prayers. My girls will like seeing pictures now. I guess I didn't realize you were pregnant, so congratulations! It's been too long since we have seen you.
Love those pics Natalie! The one of cute Rylee on her bike in her swim suit is the best! That's awesome that you guys can do the cord blood for free. I think that's a great idea. Thanks again for the reminder that there is more than chance to all of this, but a plan to help us learn & grow. You help the rest of us learn & grow as you share your story. Loves.
I cannot agree with you more on this. My mom just got diagnosed with a disease that could be genetic and so myself, plus my children have a "chance" that we could get it. After spending way too many hours worring about this, I too have had these same thoughts that you wrote about. Thanks so much for putting it into perspective. I think that just by being in this state of existence we are all at risk of the chances and we really cannot waste away precious time worrying about it.
Thanks for the great post!!
P.S. And by the way, thanks for the nice comment on my blog. No - I didn't teach Allie that. I think she must have learned it from Crae!! Just kidding.
Another great post Nat. I agree that it is all in the "plan." You have a great perspective. Thanks for sharing.
Wow, I just read through a couple of posts to catch myself up on your blog. Your little Rylee is amazing! She sounds like an absolute sweet heart. It really seems like yesterday that she was just born and I was watching you hold her in Sunday school. Really what are the chances? It really made me think. Also love your word for 2009! :)
I love all those cute pics! I hope you guys are doing well and as you know we hope the best for Rylee and are always thinking about her! I want you to know that come the end of Feb when you have the baby we want to help! Wether it be babysitting Rylee and Jace or cleaning the house and making dinner or both! Let me know what you need help with!! Love you!
Love this post. I remember contemplating all of the "stats" we were given with my mom's diagnosis. They were not good. But you know what? When they told her she had a 20% chance of living two months, she lived two more YEARS. Statistics are just numbers. There is a plan for each of us, and it requires faith. Major amounts of it. In the end, this faith brings so much more comfort than those statistics! I think you have such a great perspective on all of this. Thanks for sharing!
I appreciate your great perspective. Faith in Heavenly Father's plan is the only way to go!
What a nice post Natalie. We love you guys.
I love reading the stories you write. We are sure hoping and praying that Rylee will be cured. We wish you all the best with that new baby you will be having soon.
Nat-
I love your posts- you have found a way to bless others with your wisdom through your challenges. I am so happy that you are going to do the cord blood banking. If that would have been a financial possibility for us with our last one (my now six month old!) we would have done that too- you never know when that would be needed. Anyway, good to hear once again as I said your wisdom!
P.S. I loved the comment you made on Crae and Jenny's blog- it totally cracked me up! :)
Natalie, your posts are always so inspiring and thoughtful...I wish I could write and express my feelings the way you do!! Thank you! Hope things are well...I'm excited to hear baby news coming soon! :)
Just finally popped in again. Thanks for the inspiration and great perspective.
Post a Comment