Monday night means Family Home Evening at our house (or Family Home Meeting as Jace calls it). It kills me just how "into" FHE our kids are. I'll take advantage of it before they loose their excitement for it though. Although I am usually the one who is planning on doing the lesson, it typically gets taken over by the kids.
Tonight was so funny. First, Rylee was in charge of the song. She opens up the Children's song book, we start singing "Happy Family". Rylee's swinging her arm as if to lead, babbling/ shouting/singing her own version as she walks around the room tapping us all on the head-going round and round the room. (Because at Music Makers, which we attended today, we touch the child's head we're saying hello to during the hello song).
I get a few words in, but am quickly upstaged by Jace. Every week before FHE starts, he goes and gathers all of his church books. Including a quiet book, his scriptures and a gospel principles A to Z book that I made when he was a baby. It has actually proven to be quite effective in teaching him stuff about the gospel. Anyway...he passes his scriptures to Justin and tells him he'll have a part later, then says, "Everyone hold up your scriptures if you brought them". Pretty sure he learned that from primary. Then he randomly flips through the gospel principles book and proceeds with his lesson, which was in quiz form. It went something like this:
Jace: "Okay, do we talk loud in the temple or not?" We then answer no.
Jace: "Do we get coffee, I mean, milk or water during the sacrament? Our answer water.
Jace: "Okay, then do we get dog food, cow or horse food or bread? Laughing, we say bread.
Jace: "Do we run all around the room in primary or sit quietly and raise ours hands? He's good, I think to myself. We then answer appropriately.
Anyway...it went on for awhile until he then got silly- telling very made up knock, knock jokes. I then intervene, give the real lesson in a very short amount of time. I'm trying to follow what they'll be doing in Primary this year, so we focused on the first paragraph of the Family Proclamation tonight. I showed some road signs, asked what they were and what would happen if we didn't follow the laws of the road. Talked about how the prophets have also given us laws to follow. Showed our wedding picture- talked about how marriage should be between a man and a woman. Jace thought it was way too funny when I asked, "what if dad would have married a boy, would that be right?" I showed a family picture and we talked about the importance of a family and what makes up a family (or named who was in our family). That's about all I got. We sang "Families Can Be Together", said family prayer and called it a night.
Short & sweet, but it gives you reassurance that they really do get it. Even if it's very little or short, they'll remember it. And it's so funny when they teach it back to you.
Monday, January 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Oh that Jace is a keeper! Too funny!
So I'm sitting here by myself and as I'm reading this I start laughing out loud when I read the questions Jace was asking... He kills me!
oh my word! i miss those two! -and you and justin of course :)- jace is so adorable and makes me laugh. i love it when he gets silly.
That is so funny! I love the questions Jace was asking. Once you get your life back you should write a book on easy FHE lessons. I need some help. We always just read a story from the Children's Friend.
So Cute! You really have it together... doing FHE even with all the other things you have to take care of. It does make it worth the effort when you see that they do listen and understand. Keep up the good work!
Oh my gosh I love it!! You have the cutest family and I'm so grateful for your example. I need to be more fun and creative (and flexible) when it comes to FHE for Avri...we are slackers. Loved the story!!
Post a Comment