What was great about our Christmas: This year, we really tried to keep it simple, tried to have a more Christ-centered Christmas and just tried to relax & enjoy the holiday season more. Throughout the month of December, we did the Stories of Jesus Advent that they had in the Children's Friend. There was a story for each day of the month and it had a scripture reference and picture from the Gospel Art Kit that correlated with each reference. It went over quite well and the kids looked forward to doing it, holding the pictures and learning more about Jesus. I've decided it will become a continued tradition- a good way to remember the reason for the season. We also participated in the Giving Tree that our ward humanitarian specialists do each year with a community group. It was fun for the kids
Our kids had a good Christmas. Jace got a new bike- a Spiderman one, which matches his spidey helmet. He also got some fun dress up stuff- like a police officer hat and a cape. Also ended up with some p.j. pants, clothes, a sleeping bag and a keyboard that had a microphone on a stand attached (he wanted a microphone that he didn't have to hold.) Future musician? We'll see.
Rylee got a kitchen set. She loved it & has been busy with it ever since.
I on the other hand, got quite spoiled. Justin managed to pull off a very big surprise for me this year that I had no idea about. When I opened the last present under the tree, it was a set of keys...to my new Suburban parked in the garage!
What a guy! He had bought it nearly a week before Christmas and had apparently been storing it in Greg & Hailey's garage. So..I'm officially a mom- Suburban and all. We've been feeling major growing pains in the old Honda and we've been needing to upgrade now for quite a while- especially before the baby arrives. He did pretty good I'd say. Luckily, he's enjoying it quite a bit as well so I don't feel so bad about the few shirts he got in comparison.
And the not so good: Unfortunately, we ended up at the Emergency Room on both Christmas Eve
Anyway....long story short, she ended up getting an earache, ran a fever above her protocol level, so a trip to the E.R. was necessary. Luckily, the fever was just a result of the earache, no bacterial infections were found and her counts had gone up a bit so they were able to just give her an antibiotic through her line on both days and we then we were good to go. If her counts wouldn't have gone up she would have had to be admitted because there is different protocol depending on what her levels are. Thankfully they were up enough- what a blessing, definitely our best Christmas gift. It's all part of the complexity of all of this. Very helpless sometimes. Gone are the days where you just give her a little Tylenol or get some Amoxy and you're good. This is the part of the journey that is often difficult- the unexpected things that come up that can't wait and doesn't care that it's Christmas or anything else. But, we just do what we have to do. The antibiotic kicked in, which made her feel better & we were still able to make it to our holiday gatherings without missing much.
7 comments:
Oh my goodness! I bet that was so stressful for you guys! As if the holidays, alone, don't have their OWN stress levels! As always, though, I am SUPER inspired by your patience and love! You're amazing! Oh... and I LOVE the Suburban! :)
Great job Jus on the surprise! Glad you guys had a great Christmas & that Rylee responded well to the meds in her IV.
what an awesome surprise ...love the suburban. Looks like it was a good christmas and am amazed at your patience and attitude with life right now. Next thing to check off is a new baby right?
I don't know if you read these... but if you do, I'm happy that you guys are doing so well. And we are always happy to hear the good about your family considering what's going on with you!
Hope this year brings joy and happiness!
xoxo
The Gines
Glad you had a good Christmas despite the trip to the ER. Those types of things aren't supposed to happen on Christmas! That's what I thought when we got snowed in and couldn't make it to my mom's on Christmas day. It was the first year I haven't been to my mom's for Christmas. But we still had a great Christmas and I can't complain cause we are so blessed. I'm glad you were blessed to not have to stay in the hospital. I LOVE the suburban. You will LOVE the extra room with kid #3! What a fun surprise for you!
We know who was nice last year!! The other day I was wondering if you got a new rig cuz I saw a gorgeous tan suburban pulling out of your driveway! I am so happy for you! LOVE IT. As for the kids, they sure weren't naughty! Boston got a kitchen too and she loves it, Logan might like it a little more though!!! Kinda funny.
And for little Rylee, I hope she is doing better. I am so glad that her counts were up so you all could enjoy Christmas. Boston has had that darn cold too and I'm telling ya it's the worst she's ever had.
Sorry about Rylee getting sick, but it looks like Christmas found you anyway. I love that Justin surprised you, Mormon Mom watch out!
Post a Comment