Here's a little taste of what I mean. We walk into the Oncologist office, Rylee waves hi to the ladies at the front desk, they all ooh and ahh over her, know her by name, etc. Typical. Then we proceed to the waiting area where Rylee sits amongst all the other patients, mostly elderly. I think to myself- "she's really experiencing such an adult world/issue." Rylee walks over to the magazine basket- carefully chooses herself a magazine (does this every week), wiggles her way up onto the couch, doesn't even come close to touching the floor, but sits quietly, browsing through her Coping with Cancer magazine. (I've got to get a picture of this because it cracks me up every time.)
We go back to the treatment room. She pulls her shirt right up for the nurse to take her blood or hook her line up to the chemo, etc. We get many sympathetic remarks or looks either because of how young Rylee is or because I'm pregnant and going through this. I give them a confirmed smile & nod- knowing what they mean. We get even more curious looks- everyone wondering if I, the pregnant lady, is the one with cancer or her, the baby? Who's with who is what you can tell people are asking themselves- both of us seem a little unsuspecting. Talk about the odd couple! We all exchange small talk- talking very candidly about cancer related lingo: hair loss, treatment, diagnosis, ports &
One of the nurses and another patient comment/discuss how "cute" Rylee's chemo IV bag is (because it's so small comparible to adult sizes). "Sure, as cute as a bag full of chemo can be," I think to myself- laughing inside. The juice pumps through Rylee's body, she sips her apple juice, eats her crackers, plays with her dolls or colors or looks at a book or whatever. Then she's all done for now, we call it a day. Until next time.
Just another bizarre day in the life of a nearly 2 year old child with leukemia. Bizarre! That's all I can say.
10 comments:
She is so stinking cute. I loved the top picture she looks like she knows more than the dr. in it.
She is adorable. I remember going to McKenzies appts. with her and watching what she had to go through. I thought how tough she ahd to be to go through all of that and endure that much pain. Rylee is AMAZING!! What a little trooper! :)
She's too cute! You've got to get a pic of her reading that magazine. Thanks for sharing, it's nice to see what you are going through & I'm sure once this is all over, it will be nice to look back & see what all happened.
I love Rylee.... the pictures are way cute!! I'm glad she is getting the hang of things, and it's great that she's not scared at all!
You definately have a unique situation on your hands. Not many people can say they understand what you are going through. Rylee looks great. I am glad she is responding well to treatment. Love you.
O-kay, Jon and I are sitting here dying over how cute she is in the picture that she's sipping her drink! Seriously, we can't stop smiling.
I love all your new posts, I totally remember that last poem. We all had copies in our rooms, I think we got it in relief society. Such a good message.
And, I love your new ride! Woo-hoo! so cool!
I can totally see Rylee sitting on the couch with the magazine. Too cute! I'm so glad you are able to do treatments in Rexburg instead of traveling every week.
I remember those looks in Dr. Dickson's office as I took Scott in there while I was pregnant. It really is such a different life. I'm so glad Riley handles it so well. Don't you love Dr. Dickson and his staff. They're amazing.
Natalie, I can't believe her. What an amazing child she is for sure. My kids would be the ones kicking and screaming.
We hope you guys are well, and that your pregnancy is going well, and we will keep little Rylee in our Prayers.
xoxo
Audra
I'm so glad Rylee does so well with everything--and oh man is it A LOT for a little girl! I bet you do make quite the pair walking into the dr's office. Too cute!! Hope things are going well!!!
Post a Comment