Thursday, June 19, 2008

Our boy, Jace

Jace is our 3.5 year old. He turns four in August. He's tall for his age. He's a miniture Justin- looks, personality- the whole works. It seems like he's had a lot happening lately, so I thought I'd dedicate a post to our Jace boy.

For the last part of this school year, Jace was in speech therapy. He's had trouble with some sounds, so we got him evaluated and he qualified. This was on his last day before school got out for summer break. He loved this Bob the Builder game that they got to play. They usually incorporate a game or activity along with flash cards, mouth exercises and pronunciation type of stuff. I love his speech therapist, she has been so good with Jace. He went 2 days a week for 20 minutes each session.

I am seriously so proud of Jace for all of his progress. it takes a lot of patience, focus and consistency as parents, but it so worth it when they get it right. I know to some parents it's no big deal, but this has been a challenge for us & we're so glad Jace's speech is improving. We look forward to returning this fall!

This spring, we inherited a bike from one of my nephews, strapped a pair of training wheels on them (that don't exactly fit because we got them at the D.I. after hunting the whole town of Rexburg for a set & not finding any! No surprise) Jace has been a speed demon on this thing ever since. He can cruise on this bad boy- even with rickety wheels.

Pretty typical Jace here. He loves to pretend stuff. Every day he wants to play house or church or school or something. This day, he got into the bathroom cabinet and decided to build something. Yes, you're seeing it right, a long train or something created by toilet paper and feminine hygiene products. He gets so meticulous too- I love watching his face as he puts things "just so".

Jace went to the dentist for the first time this month & it's not good news folks! He has 8 cavities! (Gasp- yes you saw it right). We have to put him under just to get all the work done. Geez you'd think that I've been feeding this kid spoonfuls of sugar by that report. I swear it's more because we got negligent on his brushing- pretty much just letting him do it alone. (& because he likes sweets too much). Despite the bad report, Jace loved going & did really good. He couldn't be more excited about his dentist bag, mini toothpaste & the dino flosser.

And finally, Jace with his "grow a pirate" toy. Found these at Michaels for $1. They start out really small & then you stick them in water & they grow (supposedly up t0 600% of original size). This was the finished product.

Oh..I don't know what I'd do without this little guy. He gives me a run for my money & a heart full of worry at times, but he truly is a tender heart. I can't believe his life as a 3 year old is already almost gone. I've only got him home with me for another 2 years & I'll be so sad to send him out on his own.

14 comments:

a-anderson said...

Jace is a sweet kid. It is fun to see his little personality.

Zach and Shantay said...

That Jace, you gotta love him! Hey sorry about the balls the dogs chewed up. And i know how badly you dislike not having the complete set of the kids toys, so i bet that it is eating you up! We feel bad about that so shantay and i want to buy jace some new baseballs, do you know where we could find replacements or what size they are so we can find something that will work for the baseball machine. sorry again, hope all is well and hope to see you at mom and dads on sunday! love you guys!!

cortney and neil said...

Nat that was such a cute post. I loved the train out of pads. :) so funny. I also love the growing pirate. One year that is what Nic put in Mason's stocking. His was an alien and he loved it. I am sad to that they will leave in two years.

cortnieb said...

He is so Justin!! And he is giant tall...seriously by the time he's 6 he'll be as tall as you! I just had Bentley measured and he is almost 4 ft tall and not even 5 seriously he'll be taller than me before he's 8! What a cutie though..don't you just love your little man? I love having boys they are so fun!

Jenny Williams said...

What a cute kid! I cannot believe how much he looks like Justin. I noticed that he dresses just like Justin did in high school too!! (loved the cowboy boots with his pants tucked in).

Tangi said...

he is for sure your husband. Just thought I would say hello since it has been like forever. maybe we will see you over the 4th somewhere. that'd be fun

Audra Gines said...

I can't believe how big he's getting! How fun, hope you guys are well, it's always fun to read up on you!

xoxo,
Aud

Holly said...

What a cute kid Natalie. We were just at the nature park yesterday... so I recognized some of the pics. I know what you mean, I really don't want my kids to ever turn 5 or go to school! Oh and I LOVE that train of toilet paper and feminine hygeine products. Cracked me up! lol.

Heidi said...

Sorry about the cavities. I can't tell you how many times we've walked out the door forgetting to brush their teeth. I make sure I brush their teeth myself at night. That makes me feel better. Carson has yet to see the dentist. I need to make that appointment. I enjoyed your post about Jace. I wish we lived closer so we could know him better.

The Wyatt's said...

So fun to see you and your family at the reunion. Your kids are adorable. I love their super long eyelashes. Jace really is a little Justin. I'm sure you hear that a lot. You and Justin make such a cute couple. I heard someone say at the reunion how they thought you were so good for Justin and I have to agree. =)

Chantri said...

He is such a handsome little guy! I really need kicked in the butt with Logan's teeth brushing. It is so hard to remember to brush that and when we do he's mr. independent. So I'm scared to go to the dentist...for him and for me for that matter! Oh the joys! We need to get together...since we live like around the corner from eachother---but see ya once in a blue moon!

The Jensen's said...

I cannot believe how much Jace looks like Justin. How fun for you.

Our Family said...

Your kids are so cute! I love reading your blog, you sound like such a perfect mom, and really love what you are doing. That is so great, and it makes me want to be better and try and be as good as you... I don't know if that can happen. You have such a cute family, and your blogs are so great to read. It is crazy that your Jace has that many cavities, but some kids just get them easier than others. Our niece Summer was the same way. Good luck with everything.
Jill

Jana said...

hi Natalie and Justin. This is Shana Brown-Cheney. I'm using Jana's email to get access to your blog. I love being a twin in more way than one. So, we talked at the reunion about swapping emails and granting access into each others blogs, so this is my attempt. My email is cheneyfun@gmail.com and when I get yours, I'll send you an invite.

It was fun to see both of you at the reunion and to see what you've been up too. You kids are adorable and it looks like they are keeping you very busy. I scrolled down your post list and I can't believe you guys have been married 8 years. Wow! Time flies! It was good to see what you guys have been up too.
Shana