Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cost of Friendship

So, yesterday Jace came home from school. Later, he showed me a dime and a penny and I asked him where he got it from.

He said that a boy in his class had given it to him and said he could keep it if Jace would be his friend.

An 11 cent friendship. Part of this made me sad- everyone has such a desire to be included and wanted, no matter the cost.

I told Jace to give the money back and tell him that he'd be his friend for free.

True friendship can't be bought.

4 comments:

angie said...

Oh my goodness, that is the cutest and at the same time saddest thing I have ever heard.

Allison Holt said...

Jace looks so old in this picture! Did he give the money back?

The Taylor's said...

Yes..he gave the money back. Before school he told me he had the money and was going to give it back. I told him to rehearse what he was going to say and he wouldn't, he just said he knew what to say. His report when he got home was that he said, "Here's your money." His friend said, "I already gave it to you." Jace said, "I know I don't need any money." The girl next to them said, "I'll have it." Go figure. Atleast he did the right thing.

kiddle97 said...

I want to wrap that child in my arms and cry.