Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The End Has Come...

I should be in bed....Rylee has her last treatment tomorrow, starting at 6:30 a.m.

So actually, today marks the end of a very long journey for us. This is the last of many procedures we have endured. I'm just so overcome with gratitude to be finished...for her and for us.

There are so many words to say about this, but I decided I wanted to quickly share the lesson we had at Family Home Evening tonight.

There is a story in the scriptures about ten lepers. When Jesus entered a certain village, he met ten men suffering from a disease called leprosy. They pleaded with Him to have mercy on them. They cried out to Him, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us” (Luke 17:13). Jesus told them to go and show themselves to the priests. As they went to do so, they were healed.


Even though all ten lepers had been healed, only one of the men thought to return and thank Jesus for the miracle He had performed for them. The man “turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God, and fell down on his face at [Jesus’] feet, giving him thanks” (Luke 17:15–16).

-----------------------
I feel like the one tonight. At the end of 2008, Rylee's blood was 90% leukemic. Today...she stands a 94% chance of surviving. We always want to be the one that is grateful and never the 9 that forget. We know what we have been given and we hope that we can live up to that blessing.

Thank you all so much for your ongoing encouragment and support! We're amongst the survivors now- that feels so great! We have finally arrived.

And just to make you aware (some stats):
  • An estimated 259,889 people in the United States are living with, or are in remission from, leukemia.
  • An estimated 43,050 new cases of leukemia will be diagnosed in the United States in 2010.
  • The most common type of leukemia in children is acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL), which will account for about 5,330 new cases this year.
  • About 31 percent of cancers in children aged 0-14 years are leukemia.
  • The most common cancer in children 1 to 7 years old is acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL).
  • The leukemia death rate for children 0 to 14 years of age in the United States has declined 76 percent from 1969 to 2007. Despite this decline, leukemia causes more deaths than any other cancer among children and young adults under age 20.
  • About 447 children under the age of 15 are expected to die from leukemia in 2010.

If you ever have the chance to donate to childhood cancer research....do it! Do it for Rylee and all the other children who have fought and survived.

9 comments:

Allison Holt said...

We are so happy for you guys! Way to go Rylee! I just thought this lesson to the nursery a couple of weeks ago! Loved it!

Jennifer said...

Yay! I woke up thinking of this today. The end of long journey and you are coming out on top. Thanks for all your positive words. We love you guys.

Arfmann Family said...

Way to hang in there guys. We are so glad she made it to this part!!

Jill said...

Hooray for you and for Rylee! My kids will love to hear about this.

Jen said...

I am so glad that you have finally reached the end of this journey! What a blessing! I hope you celebrate... but I guess every day that she is here is a celebration :)

Allisha said...

Congratulations! That's so good to hear. I can't even imagine what these years have brought to you. Heather and I were just talking about Rylee tonight, wondering how you and your little family were doing. Good news.

Chris and Cindy said...

I am sooo glad that things have gone well and that the treatments are FINALLY over. You guys are amazing. Hope you have a VERY merry christmas!

Jon and Nicole Palmer said...

Wow! I can't believe that 2 years have come and gone. Congratulations to your family!!! What a relief it must be. Good job Rylee!!!!!
P.S. long time, now see! how have you guys been??

kiddle97 said...

Oh what good news, and what a beautiful way of tying in the lesson of the lepers. I'm very happy for you.