Rylee has been a little trooper. She has fought a good fight. She's been through so much, yet she's never resisted. She took things as they came. She's never questioned it. She has made it all bearable for me.
This is her just waking up from the anesthesia after her spinal tap last month. She's probably had over 20 of these. She only has 1 left.
Today she had chemo. Her blood counts look much better than they did 2 years ago. When we arrived at PCMC her HCT was a 10! Normal is like 37. The nurses in the ER at Primary's all took a double take...they couldn't believe she was alive and had a count that low. That's a moment that takes your breath away.
Here we are this summer at Relay for Life. This photo is from the Standard Journal- did you see us on the front page? Don't mind me: I'm telling Rylee where the camera is. Don't mind Rylee: She was tired- of all the days to skip a nap!
What a journey! One leg of the race is almost finished- treatment. She has two more hits of chemo (Vincristine); 1 more spinal tap; 2.5 more months of her daily medication (Mercaptopurine); 11 more doses of home-chemo (methotrexate); 10 more doses of her once a week med (Dapsone); and 15 more days of steroids (Dexamethasone) left. You better believe I know all of these drugs plus spelling, dosage and everything else by heart. Some of them will only need refilled one more time. I can't even imagine. These drugs have become part of our normal routine. "Rylee, brush your teeth, go to the bathroom, come take your chemo, go to bed." It's amazing what you can learn to live with.
Today's treatment was basically October's treatment-just how the days fell. She gets chemo every 28 days. She gets to push October back by a few days because we'll be out of town, so her next one will be the first of November and then her last one will probably fall right around Dec. 1. We will then finish out home meds for another week and SHE IS DONE!!! Merry Christmas to us.
I've been a little nervous about crossing back over to the other side. I decided today that when treatment ends, we will be excited and hopeful, which is better than anxious and fearful, if you ask me. Rylee will continue to get blood checked monthly and if things continue to look good 6 months post-treatment, we'll be able to have her port removed. Of course she'll be checked her whole life, but checking beats treating any day.
I must say that 2 years out isn't so bad. Sure we hear a lot of "My belly hurts." or "My bum hurts." We still have our good days and bad days. But..Rylee is in preschool this year, she's in speech therapy (trying to catch up, since her body was a little busy at that point in development) and she learned to ride her bike without training wheels this past weekend. She's just like any other 3.5 year old girl....I am so grateful that we're here and that she's here with us!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S. I'm wanting to put together something for Rylee to recap her cancer journey. If you have any pictures (10/2008-present), thoughts, perspectives, comment, etc. regarding Rylee's cancer journey/experience from anything that we've shared or you've seen first-hand, please leave a comment or email me (send pic here) at natalie-taylor@hotmail.com. I know I've seen some family members' pictures that caught moments that I can't even remember-- I'd love to have a copy.
Thanks!
5 comments:
I LOVE that picture with you and Rylee! You look gorgeous, and are truly my hero for remaining so optimistic and incredibly strong through this whole ordeal. We continue to pray for you and Rylee!! Love you!!
Yay for Rylee and for you, Justin, Jace and Jaden. I was thinking about this week and can't believe it has been two years. I am still amazed at how strong and positive you have been through this journey:) When Rylee was diagnosed, it was a big wake up call to me to just truly enjoy my children and cherish every moment.
I'm always in awe when I read about your experience. You guys are amazing! And I can't believe how much sweet little Rylee has grown up! The picture of the two of you is so sweet! Yay for the end being in sight!! Hope all is well, I'd love to get together any time you're free! :)
Hooray for HAPPY Anniversaries! I forgot that that day was also Jaron's birthday. Seem's like so long ago...yet not. Maycie was only 2 1/2 months. (We'll look through our pictures.)
Look how far you have all come! I know I have only seen your experience through "blog eyes," but you have been so positive. I admire the strength you have shown and the sweet testimony you have shared despite the difficulty of the last 2 years. May God continue to bless your amazing family!
Post a Comment