Wednesday, September 1, 2010

All Your Best Ideas

Hi blog friends- are you shocked that there is finally a post? I don't know where the days go....I need to dedicate some time to this within the next few weeks.

But...for now, I'm wanting to gather all of your best ideas. Not that I needed another thing to do, but my neighbor is the PTO President and has somehow reeled me in.

We need to do some fundraising- our kids go to a new school and has a little bit of playground equiptment, but really need more stuff.

So...I want to know some school fundraising idea. I know my blog readers live everywhere & I'm curious to hear what other schools/places have come up with.

Give me all your ideas---everything you've seen done. There are so many creative/brillant minds out there.

Keep checking back here too---I'm going to work on updating some stuff little by little.

Thanks-- Natalie

10 comments:

Jenny Williams said...

Our school does a carnival every year in September. This whole school stuff is new to me too, but I know the carnival is a hit. Good Luck!

Harris Happenings said...

My favorite (as a mom) was selling candy bars. They were $1 and the kids had a little box filled with them. The customer handed over a buck, the kid handed them a candy bar and it was a done deal. No deliveries to make later!
Our elementary did a carnival last spring, it didn't bring in very much money with our lagging economy and it was a LOT of work.

Jennifer said...

Our school has had a carnival in the past and it is tons of work. Every year they sell Sally Foster(wrapping paper, etc.) and it pays for lots of stuff. One year they asked multiple businesses for $50 and told them they would print a thank you each month in our school newsletter. Of course there is always box tops and milk jug lids. If I hear of anything else I will let you know. Happy late birthday to Jace. We called but no answer - hope you were out having fun.

cortnieb said...

Our carnival is in 2 weeks and let me tell ya Nat, my kids go to a Charter School and it's been around for only 7 years and they've done the carnival for maybe 3 or 4 years now and it has raised TONS of mula!! I'm not saying that it raised all of the amount for this, but our school is building a gorgeous new state of the art school site based SOLELY on fundraising done by our parents, boosters, and board!! So I will talk to my friend who is on the board and get some ideas for ya cause they've obviously got something right!!!

Arfmann Family said...

Let me just say about the carnival.... Lots of work. It takes a lot of people to coordinate, manage and pull it off. With families tightening their belts, the last 2 carnivals at our school haven't been as successful. Box tops are an easy way to earn money for your schools, but you have to find the right person to stay on top of turning them in and keeping the students motivated. You should have your PTO president ask the principal about "matching Grants" from the state or district. I'll let you know if I learn about any other ideas.

Jen said...

Our school also does a carnival. I haven't been involved with it, so I don't know how much money it makes.
~Last year they transformed a school room into a night club, hired a band, and sold drinks (adults only, of course). I didn't go because I don't drink, and I doubt that one would go over in Rexburg!
~I have also seen schools rent a paper shredding truck that is parked at the school and they charge $5 per box. That is one I am keeping my eyes open for because I have lots of things that need shredded!

Charakie said...

Hey Natalie...welcome back :) I don't know if this is even financially possible for the district you are in but my kids' school in Georgia is doing their major fundraiser this week and it's AMAZING! I know they make a ton of money but I'm sure the company they use costs some money up front. Our school district has used this company for fund raising for the past few years and it's been VERY effective. You can see what it's all about at boosterthon.com. Good luck!

dansundstromfamily said...

Hey Nat, our school is doing a fun run fundraiser. They are having the kids round up sponsors for them to run and then their name will be put in to win prizes for participating. Their prizes range from how much money they were able to get donated. Anyway, I am coming your way in the next few weeks to see Nicole's house and I would love to see you too.

Jana said...

Our school has a Sally Foster wrapping paper sales, cookie dough sale and coupon book sale. They also bribe all the parents to pay money to "join" the PTA. They also have a thing where you can pay money the year before and they buy school supplies for you child for the next year. It saves the headache of the dreaded school supply shopping trip and the PTA get bulk discounts. They get to keep whatever money they save. I have yet to help coordinate all of these, I mostly stick with in class volunteering, but if you need details, I could hook you up with the email of the person who does it. It never hurts to ask for big donations from businesses, you can even put their name all over the play ground. :)

Are the cheerleaders still selling Christmas wreaths? Those were the days! I think my senior year we did a million fundraisers to go to Nationals :) Baked potatoes (donated) at the football games, all area dances... I can't remember any more... Maybe there weren't a million :)

I hope you guys are doing well. Sad to hear about your daughters med. reaction. That doesn't sound like fun at all. You guys are troopers and I will definitely remember you in our prayers.

Take Care!

Amy said...

We were at two elementary schools in Arizona and their carnivals were by far their biggest fund raisers. They do take a ton of work and organization, but if done right can be very successful.

Cookie Dough fund raisers also made a lot of money.

They did a Bingo Night for families that was fun, but didn't bring in a ton of cash.

This year at our school they did a "No Hassle" fundraiser. This meant that the PTA only did this one fundraiser for the entire year. They asked each family to try to at least donate $15 per child, but any donations were accepted. Then they promised not to send home catalogs and other stuff for their kids to sell and 100% of the money earned went directly to the PTA. Parents and families responded really well and seemed to appreciate that with the economy the way it is, all the money went back to the school rather than half or whatever it is with most fundraisers. It worked well enough that I think they plan to do it again next year.

Good luck!