So awhile ago (remember I fell off the blog wagon), I came across an excerpt from something Marjorie Hinckley wrote about in the book "Small and Simple Things." I had heard it before, but had forgotten about it. She said:
"My mother taught me some basic philosophies of rearing children. One is that you have to trust them. I tried hard never to say "no" if I could possibly say "yes". I think that worked well because it gave my children the feeling that I trusted them and they were responsible to do the best they could."
I had started to feel more than a "no" mom than a "yes" mom. There were times with Rylee's condition that we couldn't allow our kids to do certain things- trying to protect her from getting sick. Then I realized that we already have so many limitations on us, why make such a big deal over things that don't really matter one way or another. So I decided to give it a try. It's certainly easier to say no sometimes, but why not let the kids live a little? Why get hung up on letting your kids be kids? Dirt washes off, play dough does too, finger paints as well and all the other little things kids love to pull out. There are more important things in life than creating a mess- like letting your kids make good childhood memories.
Here are some of our Yes moments:
"Mom, can we go play outside in the rain?"
Mom: "Yes! Just wear your coats, hat and boots."
(Still cold in April, which inspired me to get them some cute rain boots for Easter)
Can we build a fort/house/cave with the cushions off the couch?"
Mom: "Sure!"
"Could we play in the pantry and pretend that it's our car or get a flashlight and pretend that it's a tent?" ( and eat all the snacks while we're inside?)
Mom: "That would be fine."
"Mom, we're basically going to haul everything out of our rooms and make a store in the entry way, is that okay?" (Not in those exact words but, this picture shows just the beginning)
{Those that matter won't mind and those that mind, don't matter.}
I love Rylee with her purse in front of her cart in the top picture. And here's Jace (of course he was the store clerk- always is, he's oldest), scanning in all the items that I purchased. You know, playing with them is always part of the deal or at least becomes part of the deal. It's part of being a yes mom:)
So....I'm working on it....although there are still things that I'm mostly a "no" mom on, like having a million fruit snacks/treats in one day, staying up way past bedtime or watching TV all day long (well, that probably has happened). You've gotta draw the line somewhere right? (so what if it's after the 5th in a row episode of The Suite Life- that thing is on all day).
Say Yes to something today!
Life is too short.
6 comments:
Nat I'm reading your blog at work and the ladies here think it's cute... That kills me about the store, That is something we totally would havd done!
Good call Natalie. I swear I say "no" to everything.
What a cute post! I've been working on this too. Mainly because my oldest is sooo cautious about everything & my second will just go jump in a mud puddle & not think anything of it. So I'm trying to be more laid back, like you say, the dirt will wash off, might as well let them have fun memories.
good post poodles.
Thanks for the reminder, Nat. I've tried to be that Mom, but for some reason this summer has been a hard one for me. So, yes, it will be. Except for the swimming in the canal question, which comes daily. Or other life threatening ideas, which come as the kids have grown older.
Love that quote. Thanks for the reminder. Good to see you again on the blog!
Post a Comment