I am just overcome with gratitude right now. In the beginning, I wondered how we were honestly going to do this. How we would get through it. And now, I see the light.
In so many ways, it's been the best of times and the worst of times. I have never witnessed so much goodness in my whole life. I was thinking about everyone who has helped us, prayed for us, encouraged or supported us. We have had endless meals provided, gifts sent, services offered and heartfelt kindness. I am just so grateful for the blessings that have been poured out upon us. They have totally outweighed our trial. Thank you-everyone for doing so much for us.
Too many people give me credit for the way we've gotten through this. While I am humbled by your kindness, the truth is, I have been given a strength beyond my own. I do not take credit for it. I often think of the poem Footprints and realize that I too have been carried during this difficult time. I am just eternally thankful that we have an end in sight. And it's not because I can't wait to get our life back. We'll never get it back, things will never be the same. This has changed us-for the better. We're just anxious for the opportunity to look ahead and move forward with life in a whole new perspective. Cherishing every day. Grateful to have Rylee here with us.
A few weeks ago, we received some really good news. It has been one of the many tender mercies we have received through this journey. On May 15, Rylee is scheduled for a surgery at Primary Children's that will replace her central line with a port. Initially we were told that it wouldn't ever really be a possibility because of Rylee's age. In the past they didn't like inserting them on anyone under the age of 4. Thank goodness for modern medicine! I am overjoyed at this news. I know that it probably means nothing to most of you, but for us, this relieves so much work, worry and limitations.
It just seems like life is getting easier...little by little. For one thing, Jace is now able to just do speech therapy once a week instead of twice, (since he's made such good progress- yay Jace). All of our 6 week check ups are behind us. Tax season is over and we're into relaxed summer hours for Jus (makes for lots of quality family time). Jace's preschool & speech are both done at the end of the month and sunshine and summertime are right around the corner.
The other good news we got is that we don't have to have home health come anymore. We've been having a nurse come once a week. (She didn't really do much, but it was in our orders from Primary Children's to have one). Eliminating 4 appointments per month makes a huge difference. It was just starting to feel like Rylee never got a break. The maintenance phase is proving to be much more low-key. Going to the Dr. once a month feels much better than weekly or daily.
Basically the next year and a half will go like this. Chemo/office visit: once a month. Spinal taps: Once every three months. {At home meds}. Steroid (Dexamethisone): 2 times/day for 5 days/month. Oral Methotrexate: Once per week. Septra: twice a day every Mon/Tues. Mercaptopurine: Once a day. That's not so bad.
It is really starting to feel like we're living with cancer, instead of cancer controlling our lives. That feels good.

12 comments:
What wonderful news packed into that post! That pic of you and Rylee is just too sweet. I think everyone agrees that we too look at life a little differently after you sharing your struggles & joys with each of us.
I'm so happy things are looking up for guys!!!
Glad to hear the updates and love those pictures
Glad to see summer and things looking better right around the corner. Love the pictures.
What a sweet little girl. I am so glad that things are getting a little better for you.
Yay for Rylee!! She deserves a break. I love the pictures. Jen
I'm crying right now, that picture of you and Rylee is so sweet. I couldn't be happier for you guys.
Those pictures are so precious and you are so good at putting your feelings into words. I'm so happy things are going better for you.
You deserve some sort of relief. I am so happy things are going well for you guys!! I love that picture of you and Rylee.
So happy to hear that good news. The picture of you and Rylee is absolutely precious!!! :)
It's so great to hear some good news! I was wondering about a port... that will be so nice! Anything to decrease the stress level a bit! Glad you're hangin' in there so well, and SUPER GLAD tax season is over for you guys! ;)
Thanks for the invite!
It's seriously so strange to read your blog and totally relate... know the names of the meds, know the drill of homecare, weekly.. monthly app... er visits for fevers, diagnosis... it's crazy and it makes me feel... not so lonely!
I'm so glad they will change our her line to the port... you will LOVE it!
Post a Comment