A few months ago, Jace sat down to the computer and typed up a short story called
"The Four Brave Kids."
{As a side note, he's had a wonderful school teacher this year and I love that he can express himself through writing. It's small, but you'll notice it's Book 1- so maybe we'll see a sequel. :)
It reads: Once upon a time there were four kids. One lived in the hospital and three lived at home with their mom and dad. The kid in the hospital was Reese and the other kids names were Rylee, Jace and Jaden.
Jace was 8, Rylee was 5 and Jaden was 3 and Reese was 3 weeks. REESE WAS SO LITTLE SHE HAD TO LIVE AT THE HOSPITAL.
It was hard for Jace, Rylee and Jaden. SUPER HARD. But then one day my leg hurt and I had basketball practice and my grandma was coming to our house and she had to take me to my school for practice. I DID not even want to go. But I didn't have a choice so I had to go. The reason I don't like to go is because my dad always embarrasses me and I do not like that. I try to make him stop but he never listens to me. But I just do not listen to him. The last time I had a game the lights went out and nobody new how to fix them.
Well this is the end of Book 1, Book 2 will be out soon.
Jace was right. These are four brave kids. And it has been SUPER HARD. They have done some pretty dang hard things in their young little lives. And they are doing good. How did I ever get so lucky to call them my own? I never had to experience anything remotely close to what they have had to deal with in their childhood. While Rylee & Reese have suffered hard trials first-hand, Jace and Jaden have been some pretty brave brothers to help them through it. I sometimes have moments of such sorrow for what has had to come at the expense of each of the different kids because of the difficult circumstances we've been given at times. Then I have moments of realization where there are far worse things a kid could learn than sacrifice, compassion, unselfishness and charity. I try really hard not to have them feel the burden of our trials, yet it's inevitable that they do feel it. They feel it in my absence, they feel it with not knowing their baby sister, they feel it in our prayers. I don't think they fully understand it all....but they do feel it.
And I love in the last part of Jace's story how he goes off into a rant about basketball. It's a lot like our life....it's hard and we've got some super hard things going on, yet....life goes on and you must go to basketball practice too. And...just like the lights going out--we don't always know how to fix our problems. Such is life. {Btw: Justin "embarrasses" him by coaching him off to the side- shoot, put your hands up, etc. Justin now mostly just watches the game and keeps his pointers to himself.}
1 comment:
What a sweetheart! Made me all teary! You have a wonderful family Natalie!
Post a Comment