Friday, March 15, 2013

Our Baby Reese

I realize that it's been ages since I've taken to this blog. I've had all sorts of intentions to updating, but life has taken on new challenges for us and time has not permitted. However, I have decided that I need this blog- to update and share news with everyone in one place, to keep record for our family and for added faith and support. Our blog was a great source of therapy for me during our trial with Rylee's cancer and I hope it will do the same for our challenges with our new baby girl, Reese.

Who's Reese? Long story short: {At some point, I'd like to give a more detailed account of the last several months, but for now, here's a quick recap.} In October of 2012, we announced we were expecting a baby girl. A few weeks later, ultrasound showed that I had placenta previa. At the first part of December, a follow-up ultrasound showed that placenta previa was resolved, but I know had cervical incompetence and was put on immediate strict bed rest. I was on bed rest at home through the month of December. December 26, I started feeling like I was leaking some fluid, so I went to the OB to get it checked. At my appointment, it was found that I wasn't leaking amniotic fluid, but I was dilated to a 4, had a bulging bag and the baby was breach- which means that baby could have almost fallen right out. I was 23 weeks pregnant and immediately admitted to Madison Memorial. The Dr. thought the baby would come that night. A few days tilted on my head kept things stable and I was transported to EIRMC. At this point, I had developed pulmonary edema, a few days later; I had a ruptured membrane (treated with antibiotics) and for the next 2 weeks, nearly delivered this baby about 6 times. After holding things out for 2 weeks, our baby girl was born on January 9 at just 25 weeks and 3 days along. She weighed 1 lb. 15 oz. and was 13.5 inches long.

One of her first pictures. Her eyes were still severed shut and her body looked like a plastic doll. Her feet were about half the size of Justin's pinky.
 
I saw her briefly right after the c-section, but this was the morning after once she was settled in her isolette.
 
 
Me & Jus with Reese. First time I held her was on her second day of life.
 
Reese at 1 week old
Not much bigger than a kind sized candy bar. Pictures are deceiving unless you have something to put her size into perspective. She's a tiny little bean.
 

When she was about a month old, she started developing some mysterious bleeding come from her throat. We were life-flighted to primary children's to have them take a closer look. We spent the month of February in Utah with her.
 
The bleeding in her throat ended up being a cut in her upper airway and healed on its own in about a week. What a blessing! Once she was stable, through another tender mercy, Primary Children's flew her back to EIRMC. Another miracle and blessing for us. This is her when she arrived back to EIRMC from PCMC. Just another day in the isolette.
 
 And these are some recent pictures of Reese. She is now up to 4 lbs and 3 oz. We have started working with her on taking a bottle and weaning her out of her isolette into an open crib. It is wonderful to see her progress, but this has been a tremendous trial. I wish it was as easy as the summary of it all sounds. I would have been 34 weeks pregnant this week, and every day outside of the womb, Reese has been fighting for her life. Micro-preemies have a hard battle. She's was born with an infection (that she got from me- my whole placenta and umbilical cord were full of infection at birth), she's had bleeding in her brain (their blood vessels are super fragile), the bleeding in her throat set her lungs back, she's been on and off food- trying to monitor her digestive system. She's gained weight, lost weight and the rollercoaster is non-stop. Everyday changing- lots of ups and downs. It's like expecting these little tiny babies to learn and do everything on their own that is usually taken care of in the womb with very little effort for moms. The miracle of life is amazing- as I've witnessed her growing on the outside, it makes me regret any complaint I ever had in pregnancy. I would have given anything to carry her to term. Their little hearts are at risk, lungs, eyes, ears- you name it, these micro's have a hard battle ahead.


 She is beautiful. Every little limb was formed perfectly. She is as sweet as can be. She is a little wiggle worm and moves all around her isolette. Her life is a miracle and someday I will share the undeniable ways that Heavenly Father has preserved her life.
 
This is so heartbreaking though. Besides the obvious heartache of not being able to have your baby at home with you and that she's 2 months old and none of my other kids have personally met her, you have the all the rollercoaster of challenges and concerns for her future and her ultimate outcome. It breaks my heart to watch her struggle and it feels very helpless. The whole journey has felt out of my control. Heavenly Father likes to remind me often of who's really in charge. I am but a pawn in the game. It has challenged me more than I've ever experienced in remembering to trust in the Lord and put my faith and hope in His plan, not mine. I would not have chosen this.
 
Special Request for Specific Prayers/Fasting:
 
Yesterday, we got some more heartbreaking news. Babies born premature are at risk for developing retinopathy of prematurity (ROP). Although eyes are one of the first organs in the body to begin developing, they are not completely developed until several weeks after birth (even in full term babies). They are particularly at risk for problems with blood circulation to the retina. ROP is when immature blood vessels to the retina develop abnormally. Reese had 2 eye exams prior to this and they both came back with no signs of ROP so far. Her exam yesterday, showed that the blood vessels have started to progress, but in a negative way. One main concern is that it took such a sudden turn for the worse. ROP is often mild and requires no treatment- it can be corrected through monitoring oxygen parameters. However, more serious cases can lead to scarring or detachment of the retina and will require treatment. They usually won't be blind, but if treatment is necessary, they can loose their peripheral vision. There are 3 zones in the eye. The first zone is your central vision, the second zone is the area in the middle and the 3rd zone is your peripheral vision. Reese's is in her zone 2. Her zone 3 has not started forming. If treatment is necessary, they use a chemo drug called Avastin and do shots into the eyes to stop the abnormal growth. Then they do a laser, which at whatever point the laser is done, it means permanent vision lost in areas not developed at time of laser.
 
Her eyes will be re-checked on Sunday. We would appreciate any specific prayers that her eyes will be able to progress normally and that her eyes may be protected. It is our hope that her eyes can develop as much into zones 2 and 3 as possible and that treatment will not be necessary. We are also fasting Saturday in hopes that special blessings will be unlocked to help save as much or all of her vision. We are hoping that we still have  a chance at this correcting. It is so concerning to us and we would appreciate any added faith, prayers or fasting in her behalf.







4 comments:

Alan and Heidi said...

We will pray for her and for the rest of your family too. I feel so guilty that we live next door and I haven't been any help at all! But we can definitely pray!! Love you guys.

angie said...

Your family are in our prayers every night! I can't believe how big she is getting. Good luck, and let us know if there is anything we can do. Btw- I absolutely love that candy bar picture. One day when she is all grown up and playing soccer, she will joke with her friends about how she was no bigger than a candy bar!

Jenny Williams said...

You are in our prayers! She is beautiful and we will pray for her and her little eyes!

Amy said...

We will be praying for your family too. My parents have been keeping us updated on Reese's progress. She is a beautiful little girl. Thanks for posting pictures!