Saturday, May 22, 2010

Jace Lately...

Jace: This kid is growing up on us. Already 5 and a half. Tall & handsome. Always wanting to do something. Always picking for food in the pantry. So ready for Kindergarten in the fall.He's my right hand man. I can't believe how much help he is to me with the littler ones. I notice his absence when he's gone. He's responsible and careful. He fills his role as big brother well. He probably worries and is way more cautious than I am. He cares a lot for Rylee, even though they also love to rival. And he absolutely adores Jaden and melts when Jaden hugs him or crawls up onto his bed in the morning. He's good at coming up with games for them to play. He also likes to act like he's a parent- threatening to spank or give time-outs to Rylee or giving the kids the 1-2-3 count if they are out of line. This day he put Rylee down for her nap. I thought it was so sweet when I caught him reading to her.

He tried out gymnastics the first part of the year. A good way to burn off some energy in these way too long of winters. He was in Boys Level 1 and it was really fun for him. We'll probably have him return to it this winter as well.
I thought it was great for him. In the boys classes, they work a lot on strength and coordination. They would rotate through a bunch of different stations- floor, rings, bars, rope, pit, etc. After his first few classes, his muscles felt it. He couldn't raise his arms to eat his cereal one day. Good for his athleticism.




He had a blast with his Taylor cousins. So many boys on that side, which is a great change from all the girls on the Price side. When Rich's family was visiting, the boys were on the go, go, go. They hiked the butte, played baseball, jumped on the tramp, sat in the hot tub, played video games, rode 4-wheelers, went swimming, went to the movie. They made some good memories.

Although he had a great time, the butte brought us a little bit of trouble. Jace started complaining of all these mysterious things- his leg was swollen one morning, then he said his head hurt, then he had this huge gland. We didn't know what to make of it. Then almost a week after he had hiked the butte, Justin found a tick in the back of his head. What? We didn't even think to check. We got it out, but the swollen gland got worse. I was scared it might be lime disease. The Dr. gave us some antibiotic and waited for a few weeks. Things finally cleared up, but that was scary. I can't believe he had a tick in his head for that long. Makes me sick.

He's been busy playing everyday. He & our neighbor, Halli, are great friends. They are constantly riding their bikes or scooters back & forth down our street. They play on the swing set, jump on the tramp, play at one of our houses, have picnics, etc. It's so fun for them when the weather is nice. Nice for me too, I must admit. It can be hours until he's ready to come in. We've got a great kid neighborhood.
And....he had a not so fun friend moment. At Justin's basketball tournament, Jace received his first punch in the nose. One of his friends was feeling threatened by a bunch of the kids playing in the primary room and Jace was trying to correct his friend, which made his friend more heated and so he punched him in the face. Darn it.
The friend later wrote him a note that apologized for hitting him. They're friends again. Boys will be boys, I guess- but it sure took Jace by surprise.
Last Friday, Jace graduated from his second year of Preschool. He went to the Burton Elementary preschool. It was a great prep year for him. He's very comfortable with the school and is so ready to start Kindergarten. He did preschool with 2 of our neighbors. This is him & Halli Angell.

Jace & Jus just returned today from the Father & Sons outing. Jace has been talking about it (& rubbing it in Rylee's face) for the last week. They camped at Warm River. Jace came home talking about stick fights, one of Justin's young men coming out to breakfast in a robe (which he thought was so funny) and taking their "leaks" outside- sounds like male bonding to me. Jus froze his butt off, Jace didn't. I think they had a good time, but I'm pretty sure they'll take a camper next time. Hopefully Jaden will be old enough (& less crazy) to join them next year.

And finally...this goofy picture of him. He loves to play dress up and comes up with some pretty funny get-up. Little nerd.

He's been a busy kid. This summer he's going to do his first year of T-ball, 2nd year of soccer and 2nd year of swimming lessons. He'll also turn 6, then off to Kindergarten.... where does the time go?

After I read this to Jace he said, "Mom, you should put...Look out Kindergarten, here I come." I thought it was funny.

7 comments:

Arfmann Family said...

Fun post on Jace. He's a good big brother and such a goof!

Jennifer said...

Looks like Jace is a busy boy. I love the picture of him reading to Rylee. Too bad about getting punched in the face.

Jill said...

Jace is one cool kid. What a great brother, too.

charm said...

I never would've thought to check the SCALP for ticks! I'm so glad you found it when you did! He's such a cute boy! I'm bettin' you're as ready to send him off to Kindergarten as I am with Brin! :)

Allison Holt said...

Jace is so funny... I loved just talking to him this weekend we went through his preschool book! I also love the picture of him and Rylee.

Jen said...

I haven't been on here forever! Fun to read and see all that is happening with everyone. Happy Anniversary!

Bree said...

I loved reading your updates so far, Sounds like things are busy as ever--how do you do it?? Hopefully you guys can get some warm weather to stay!! :)