Monday, August 3, 2009

Our Lake Powell Get-Away

Since this past year has been like a run-away train for us, we decided that we needed to get away from it all. We needed a break, some time to breath, to think, to rejuvenate, to escape.
Nothing like a week in Lake Powell!
We went June 14-20 with some of our long-time friends:
Chris & Cindy Merrill, Ryan & Becca Nelson and Vince & Angie Byram.
Beautiful Lake Powell-the scenery is amazing there!
The guys- some things never change, they've been friends forever & haven't changed much.
Our group at Rainbow Bridge (all of us plus Ryan & Becca's kids & their babysitters who came along).
Posted by Picasa
Lake Powell in a nutshell:
Reading, lounging, riding the banana, laying out, wake boarding, water skiing, lots of good company, hot weather, tons of yummy food (thanks to Chris & Cindy), boating, that darn tube-scares me to death, water trampoline, jet skiing, baths in the lake, nice house boat accommodations, cards or movies @ night, lots of pictures, some good wipe outs, a small storm & some rain, a fun road trip there and one packed Suburban.
-------------------------------------------------
Of course, nothing is without complication in our life.
We were lucky that we actually ended up even getting there. The weekend we were scheduled to leave, Rylee of course ran a fever. What? We thought we were out of the danger zone? Wishful thinking- she ended up with a 3 day stay in the hospital instead for low counts. She was discharged on the Sunday that we had planned on leaving- after a firm recommendation from her Dr. that we'd be okay to still go, we did just that. A few hours behind schedule, but we still went.
Then.....
We get to St. George where we were staying the first night and 5 minutes from where we were staying, the Suburban (yes, our new one we got for Christmas) suddenly dies. WHAT? It was midnight, we were on the on-ramp of the freeway, everything was closed, we were pulling the boat- which was full of food and everything else, the OnStar diagnostic center was closed, so we weren't sure what the problem even was. We had heard a drop when it stalled, so the guys suspected the transmission, but it would only go in reverse or in low gear. Anyways, to make a long story short- we ended up being able to drive it in low gear to where we were staying and got it in the shop the next day. Thankfully, it was still under warranty- it ended up being the sprag? which is a part of the transmission. Apparently they've had some trouble with this- good to know. Now it's fixed. {Thank you to our St. George life lines that we called way past a respectable hour to help us.} Wouldn't be a road trip if something didn't happen right- you've got to come back with a good story.
And...
A huge, huge thanks to Justin's mom & family and my sister Jennifer, niece McKell & my family who were willing to take on our responsibilities for a week. We're in a difficult position and know that it is no small task.
Despite it all, we had a Good Time!

6 comments:

angie said...

I still crack up everytime I think of Vince and Justin on that tube! I can hardly type because I am still laughing about it. What a great trip!

Allison Holt said...

Looks like you guys had fun.. I LOVE Lake Powell! I love the pic of Justin on the ski!! I also think it's so funny how packed the big rig was!!!

Jennifer said...

I'm glad you were able to go. I don't know how you keep up with your 3 little ones every day. They wore me out, but were lots of fun:) Jen

The Wyatt's said...

That looks like a blast. I bet you guys had so much fun. I love Lake Powell. We're headed their next week with my fam. But how fun to take a trip with old friends. I bet it was very refreshing!

Bree said...

Glad you could have such a fun getaway...even if there were a few snags to start out. Lake Powell is gorgeous!!! I've only ever driven by but I'm dying to go!!! How FUN! Oh-and those pics of Rylee--wow! Can't wait to see more!! Tasha did GREAT!

Arfmann Family said...

How did you do the photo collage? Can you get me Shanna Brown's blog, email or phone #?
Thx